What are you currently watching?

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Given that everyone reading this shares a certain common heritage this is probably not going to generate any surprises - but what shows does everyone follow these days? Being terrestrial only I'm following Buffy, Farscape, Smallville (for the time being), Roswell High (more interesting once you're into it) and finding that the Next Generation repeats are surprisingly watchable. Oh, and Stargate too. Actually there's a lot of really good quality stuff now. Farscape and Stargate are probably my favourites at the moment.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yep I really like Farscape, I've watched it all the way from the start and it just keeps getting better, it's like Blakes 7 in many way, slightly better effects mind. Buffy is witty as always, although I am finding this season to be a little bit to dark. The next episode is going to be no exception, although I'm sure it's going to be a real classic. Don't really like Trek shows, they seem to be forever pressing the reset button after every episode, although I suppose DS9 was the exception to the rule, and it had some great space battles in it. Stargate? mmmm I've never got into that, I think it's because it has McGuyver in it.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

I don't know if I'm becoming more cynical in my old age (or losing my attention span), but there hasn't been any recent Sci-Fi series that I can be bothered with...pretty much all the ones listed above don't do anything for me (apart from Buffy when they're being funny...)[Happosai]
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Interesting... what I'm certainly finding is that you need to stick with series these days to get full value from them. Fortunately I got into the habit with Babylon 5. As mentioned, Trek's reset button generally means that you can watch any given episode without needing to know what went on last week - and that can be convenient. But with Buffy, Farscape etc - you have to be "into" the show to appreciate the mythos and the depth of characters and WHY things matter. Although I think tonight's Buffy stood very well on its own. I don't know if it's just that I'm older and appreciating the writing more, or whether it's only now that what are ostensibly teenage sort of shows are being written by adults who want something better than they had. I have to smile at how self-referential they're all becoming though - Farscape's name-checked Buffy and various others during its run, which is always fun to spot! Oh, and Shane - in an early episode of Stargate there was indeed a reference to "MacGyvering" something - with just a little twinkle in the eye when it was said ;)
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

Well, I saw both the episodes of Buffy (which I do generally enjoy watching) and Angel (which I just don't like) last night...I commented, and both my housemates, who are well into Buffy, agreed, that I think Buffy has gone on a little too long and is starting to get a little boring and repetative...I've seen various episodes of Farscape, enough to know some of the ongoing themes of the show, but for some reason I just don't like it...I can't figure out why (I think I have a dislike for the main character, who, like in Stargate, is a smartmouth...something that annoys me and isn't very original)...As for the Trek series, I still love the original series for it's combination of cheesyness and original (at the time) ideas...I used to like ST:NG, but watching it these days I find it a bit dated...never got into DS9 (too much like a soap opera in space...! Same comment for Babylon 5! ;)...and Voyager just got silly (next week they'll run into an even HARDER alien race, which, of course, they'll overcome...). I caught the end of the first episode of the new Enterprise series this week...it pretty much lived up to what I expected (which wasn't much)...and who on earth told Scott Bakula he could act???So cynical...![Happosai]