lost it all

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
NC

lost it all

Post by NC »

I've had an accident of the computer kind.I had to reinstall Win2k, and for some reason Windows was kind enough to repartition my backup drive, from 1 40gb partition to 6 little ones.Good news is I've not lost any 3D models or reference material, only my internet backup, all my mail, address book and bookmarks...If anyone knows how to recombine the drives without lossing the data I really want to hear from you Anyway, Simon & Andy I did get your last ones so they are safe...Its my own stupid fault for thinking I could trust a harddrive to store any sort of backup on.Nigel
AndyThomas

lost it all

Post by AndyThomas »

Nasty - could have been worse though I suppose. Isn't there a programme called Partition Magic or something which might sort the problem out? I've had no direct experience I'm afraid so I don't think I can be of much help. Game and Electronics Boutique stock the more common recovery utilities and the like. Do you think the data's still there, split across these new partitions, or is it just gone-gone?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
NC

lost it all

Post by NC »

if its only the allocation table thats corrupt I suppose there is a chance, or root block what ever these windows machines call it...I've not formatted it, written anything to it, so in theory if Windows hasn't written anything nasty to it and I can recover the allocation table there is hope... I'm going to try Partition Magic to see if I can recover it.Nigel
NC

lost it all

Post by NC »

* Undelete Partitions - Restore partitions that have been deleted on disk if they have not already been overwritten. This gives me some hope that its not all lost I'll let you know tomorrow, if it was my 3D drive I would be banging on PC Worlds door now Nigel
Jim Box

lost it all

Post by Jim Box »

I have partition magic v7 i can send you over msn messengerAny help?
NC

lost it all

Post by NC »

All hope is lost, I tried PM7 and according to that Windows trying to put 42gb on a 20gb drive has screwed things up, I wasn't even trying to compress it or anything... avoid FAT32 it's the invention of the devil Anyway, all messages, bookmarks and address book has now offically gone, I've also lost some stuff I'd grabbed of video and hadn't saved yet Just the address book that worries me.I've ordered Transformers to cheer me up.Nigel(Edited by NC at 11:07 pm on Jan. 24, 2002)