PC Game: Homeworld

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

In the vain of Startrek Armada II (amazing game) I have decided to to spec out a StarFleet Game. Similar style to Armada 2 a role playing sim with a plot - defeat the empire, and a good multipayer game with moonbases, X-Bomber - 3 fighters forming Dia-X Spy ships sending on Mantis's to kill crew etc etc. I know this style of game has been done before but I am hoping the idea of Dia-X and termiod carries launching more fighters, moonbases The Skull etc will add a slighty new twist to the game. I am going to sumbit this idea to some software houses explainig that Enoki hold the rights to the series. Anyone interested in contributing ?
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Interesting thought. I'd certainly quite enjoy a Star Fleet version of something like I-War, where you can play multiple command roles at the same time. Great game, I-War. Plus, it's got fighters and various items already in it. It's done by Particle Systems and I've actually met some of the crew who worked on it - when I get my new system I'll be after the sequel:Edge of Chaos: Independence War 2With all this talk of 3D game-ness, and Nigel's ongoing SF Genesis work, what would be a sensible 3D object format to go for? Presumably you could convert from a detailed model to a game-ready model, is that how a software house would do it? We really could use a little demo of what the ships look like...Oh, and one small problem. "Star Fleet Academy". I'm not certain, but there might be issues with using "Star Fleet" as a title for a game. Paramount's a big ol' company...!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Hang on - are we talking at cross purposes here, I wonder? Matt, are you saying we should try and actually develop something which to tout the idea to a software house, or do you just want thoughts/ideas/concepts to put to a software house? Nice if we could do some sort of mod-demo thang of course...
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

My thought was to get a detailed plan of ships aliens, single player plot multiplayer ideas, themese etc as detailed and professional as possible and give it to someone like EA or microprose as they encourage outside ideas. I think it would be hard to develop anything like a demo of starfleet armada ii to present to anyone. I would on the other hand be interested in find a space fighting game and trying to mod it as a seperate project could be fun.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Wow. By inverting the local tachyon field and creating a quantum flux I've actually managed to make Homeworld, bought in anticipation of my new machine, run on the old one! Talk about going through hoops, but it was well worth it - the thing's gorgeous, if a bit slow at the moment! I can see why they've done B5 mods for it, it really lends itself to that sort of mod... Well, from tomorrow, there should be just 10 (working) days until the new machine reaches me, maximum - and #### but I'm impatient now!!!