Rumours Star Wars Ep 3

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Rumours Star Wars Ep 3

Post by AndyThomas »

But doesn't Obi Wan basically 'fess up to being simply a.k.a. Ben Kenobi in A New Hope? A clone wouldn't have his memories of events, either, going by Attack of the Clones. Basic character traits, perhaps, but that's mainly conditioning.It's ever been one of the fundamental flaws with clones in the movies. Growing a spare body is one thing, but having the mind the same is something else again. "Hard" SF typically uses some form of personality back-up to get round the problem. Hmmm... I suppose there's precedence for this in the Star Wars books? Doesn't Palpatine come back as a somewhat unhinged clone in one of them? But you'd think if they were that smart at cloning, they'd grow Darth a new body and transfer him into it...I think I've had this discussion elsewhere, but it does seem that there'll be a lot to get into episode 3. There has to be the final showdown between Kenobi and Skywalker, both kids have to be spirited away from under Skywalker's nose and placed with their foster families (unless Padme is spirited away before Darth knows she is pregnant, which I suppose might trigger the confrontation with Kenobi).The droids are a bit of an issue, although they might be mind wiped, and Kenobi might be forgiven for not recognising them years later. What else... Oh, well, Palpatine must presumaby get "outed" in the next film too - perhaps Windu goes up against him? Yoda has to nip off to Dagobah at some point as well. I imagine there'll only be a few senior jedi left at the beginning of the third film - and I have a sneaking suspicion that those baby jedi we saw training aren't going to have long careers...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Rumours Star Wars Ep 3

Post by Shane »

Another issue is whether Anakin is actually given the Sith title: Darth Vader before he is forced to don the famous black samurai suit. He must be classed as a Sith by the time he has the final duel with Obi and it's well known that its Darth who hunts down the Jedi.Lucas states that the first part of the movie is the end of the Clone Wars so I'm thinking we are at last going to see the mother of all space battles. They've held back on the space scenes in the Prequel trilogy so far, so as to not make the Original trilogy totally redundant. I betcha Jar Jar dies a heroes death as well, to make us feel bad for how we all slated him in the Phantom Menace. I think it was actually a stroke of genius that the most bumbling and insignificant character is actually the one responsible for the rise of the Empire. Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Rumours Star Wars Ep 3

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, I know Palpatine's the emperor - I was referring to the sequel books post ROTJ in which he returns, I believe, as a not-quite-right clone. It may even have been in a graphic novel, thinking about it. I've only read one of the Zahn trilogy novels - always meant to read the others, they're supposed to be very good. As for the, ah, ladder issue - perhaps it just retracts automagically?!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator