Farscape and Buffy

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Shane

Farscape and Buffy

Post by Shane »

I'm really disapointed with 2 of my fave shows at the moment. Farscape while still inventive and original has lost it's spark which made it such a must see show during it's first 3 seasons. It's still good but not great at the moment.And don't get me started with the Buffster. The first few episodes of season 6 I've seen so far on terestrial tv have been absoloute tripe. Could any Sky subscribers give me a hint as to whether it gets any better?Shane.(Edited by Shane at 10:41 pm on Nov. 28, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Farscape and Buffy

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, the Farscape newsgroup - and myself - agree with you. Apparently, there may have been an order from on high to make the show more episodic and less arc driven to make it easier for people to get into. Hence also, perhaps, the repeated recaps in the episodes so far. It just seems disjointed this season, that was the only lasting impression I got from the first two episodes - I was just left sitting there with a puzzled expression on my face! There's still been no explanation of Moya's disappearance down the wormhole at the end of season 3 either...As for Buffy, there's the famous episode coming up in two weeks on BBC2. I was quite amused by tonight's episode with the discussion of the Bonds by the Geekly Trio - quite timely with the release of the new film and all the anniversary look backs. I liked the way the guy got smacked for saying Dalton was the best and kept trying to defend his position! I do wonder whether the introduction of this evil trio is an attempt to grab the hardcore sci-fi fans who might not otherwise be tempted to watch Buffy. As much as it's ripping the piss out of them, it's doing so really authentically ;)
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Farscape and Buffy

Post by Shane »

Heh, yeah the argument they had over the placement of the reactor core on the Death Star (It's the Death Star in ROTJ) painted on the van was funny. But your right, it's ultimately geeky humor aimed at a section of it's audience. The producers are basically saying we've got the Goths, lets get some geeks. That was Buffy's major strength, there was something for everyone.It just strikes me that Buffy "Jumped the Shark" when she died again at the end of season 5. If I'm being really honest it probably peaked at the end of season 3.Farscape is still better than a lot of shows out there, and how it gets away with all the S&M in it's time slot is a triumph. ;)Shane.(Edited by Shane at 10:40 pm on Nov. 28, 2002)
Bradster

Farscape and Buffy

Post by Bradster »

You guys did know that the Sci-Fi Channel cancelled production on Farscape a few months ago, effectively ending the series on a cliffhanger, right?(Edited by Bradster at 7:54 am on Nov. 29, 2002)
AndyThomas

Farscape and Buffy

Post by AndyThomas »

Yup. Lots of people elsewhere have signatures for the Save Farscape campaign, and it's even been brought up in the mammoth debating thread! Perhaps they'll manage to write some books to continue the storyline. It sounds to me like it was a Crusade sort of thing - not a lot wrong with the show, but internal politics conspiring to end it...
Shane

Farscape and Buffy

Post by Shane »

>>You guys did know that the Sci-Fi Channel cancelled production on Farscape a few months ago, effectively ending the series on a cliffhanger, right?<<Your kidding? I thought it had a 5 year deal. This is what happens when you stay clear of spoilers. This is certianly going to put a downer on my viewing now that I know there is going to be no conclusion to the series, as I always thought they would go for a very unusual final episode. That is such a bloody shame. Shane.
AndyThomas

Farscape and Buffy

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, it's different to the Babylon 5 scenario when there was the prospect of that ending after 4 years - the timing there was such that JMS was in a position to juggle with the arc in such a way as to finish some storylines sooner if necessary. As I understand it the same didn't happen with Farscape - it was cancelled after season 4 had wrapped so there was no opportunity to try and provide some sort of conclusion...
djdust

Farscape and Buffy

Post by djdust »

i'm a bit late on this thread - to all the people complaining about Buffy series 6 - take my word for it that it gets MUCH better - as for series 7 (which is now 10 episodes in) .............. WOW!
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
AndyThomas

Farscape and Buffy

Post by AndyThomas »

I'd heard series 7 was going quite nicely! Whilst this thread is being revived, can I also say that this season of Farscape just woke up with tonight's episode which was off-the-wall/wormhole in a way only Farscape could ever hope to pull off... Yet still they cancel it, just when the picture is getting bigger...
Crash

Farscape and Buffy

Post by Crash »

I rather believe there will be a future resumption of Farscape. Sci-Fi, the folks that had it cancelled it have gotten a complete pasting over this issue since everyone is REALLY mad about it.
Dream big and bold and daring.