Animatrix

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Happosai

Animatrix

Post by Happosai »

I've just finished watching the Animatrix (all 9 segments).Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of the original film (I think it's a good action flick, but nothing more...I don't much like the premise), and have no burning desire to see the current film, as an anime (and other animation) fan I thought it was well worth watching. Some excellent examples of contemporary animation by people who have been involved with some of my favorite anime features.My least favorite segment was probably 'Final Flight of the Osiris', as I don't really like photo-realistic CGI (I prefer animation to have its own style). Nice to see some new stuff from Peter Chung...Aeon Flux is a particular favorite non-anime animation of mine.The next 'Western anime' I'm looking forward to seeing is the full release of the Daft Punk/Leiji Matsumoto collaboration, 'Interstella 5555'.[Happosai]
AndyThomas

Animatrix

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh, well, the premise gets a lot more convoluted in the second film let me assure you! I've downloaded some of the Animatrix features and also caught one on TV; I think I'll be picking up the DVD in due course. Looks to be an interesting mix of styles, and apparently it's getting to the point where you need to be watching all these extra segments to get full value out of the movies, so...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Animatrix

Post by FZeroOne »

Be fair, Osiris does have good toes.No, stop looking at me like that... toes are hard!Anyway... one thing anime fans should be aware of is that there is no Japanese-language track on the R2 release. Apparently we get German instead.Wonder what the German for "dude" is? ( and please - don't let them have their own German theme music!!! )
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
felice

Animatrix

Post by felice »

I assume it was orginally made in English, so the lack of a Japanese soundtrack isn't really an issue. An Esperanto track would have been nice, though.
Happosai

Animatrix

Post by Happosai »

There seems to be some uncertainty about which language they were originally made in (they're all available with both English and Japanese soundtracks).  The most likely option is that the two non-Japanese productions were made with English dialogue, and the other seven Japanese directed segments were made with Japanese dialogue, but I've not seen any conclusive proof of this.[Happosai]