Review: Chronicles of Riddick

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Due to some fortunate timing I caught this at the cinema today.  I must admit not having paid a massive amount of attention to Pitch Black, despite it having the rather nice Claudia Black in it.  But I get the feeling if I'd watched a little more closely there would've been more back-plot set up for this film, although it's in no way essential to have seen the first I don't think.It is in many respects typical Vin Diesel, but he does bring, well, character to the character which is more than can be said for a lot of action stars.  My closest analogy might be a sort of sci-fi Indiana Jones, although he's a clearer anti-hero hero than Jones.  In fact, many might find this film reminiscent of the Conan films in some respects, too.The attention to detail in this film is well done - the sheer scale of some of the elements reminds me of Dune at times and all in all I found it a very credible universe.  I think what also helped is that despite the amount of action in it, it actually stayed well away from Matrix-style effects - it's as much about what you don't see, and yet the action scenes were still brilliantly executed and really drew me in.So, yes, some quality quipping, quality action, a plot which somehow reminded me of Warhammer, and a lot of universe development which I believe is explored in a recently released anime (Dark Fury) which I'll probably look at as well.So, anyone else seen it?

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Pitch as a noun/adjective - as in the black tar substance used on boats and the like as a waterproofing method. This is why Riddick's shiny eyes were handy in the first film - he used them for about 80% of the film. Claudia Black played the Peacekeeper Aeryn Sun in Farscape, but her role in Pitch Black wasn't as big.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I saw it. It's the best film I've seen in a while. I think the look of everything did help that. I thought it was a bit like PC game how the story moved from one place to another.I think the Diesel appeal is that he is totally cool - and he had a good scriptwriter.
Dream big and bold and daring.
GenoGear

Post by GenoGear »

Good film. Got the Game aswell also good its set befor Pitch Black. The time he spent in Butcher Bay. Now as for Dark Fury it follows on after Pitch Black its good but way to short play says it 1hr but its only 30min and its the 1st place you see the bounty hunter thats after Riddick in Chronicles.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I think Im gonna get that game myself - I was impressed by the likeness they made of that Diesel guy. But whatever you do don't buy Doom3 - it's utter crap.
GenoGear

Post by GenoGear »

LOL I have Doom3. Beat it. I would not say it utter crap. Its not bad not asgood as they made it out too be. You should check out Burnout 3: Takedown. Man that is a sweet game.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Well the graphics and the amount of death on Doom 3 made me ill one night after I went thru that delta complex place (which was thoroughly sick - I thought). I think that Adrian Carmack guy needs a steady role model.
GenoGear

Post by GenoGear »

Delta Labs 4 was abit grim it made the #### Level look like a sunny day in the park. It had more blood than Mortal Kombat.