Review: Alien v Predator

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I've been a little slow in seeing this, which is surprising given that the Aliens and Predator comics were big favourites of mine for quite some time.It's a little slow to get started, but it puts an interesting spin on the Predator's history while at the same time staying pretty accurate to the way the comics have portrayed the meeting of the two species, even down to the Predators' use of branding.No big names in this, really, with the exception of "Bishop" - playing, in effect, his ancestor; but I don't think it detracts from the film at all and I did buy into the characters up to a point.Effects wise - nicely done, and good to see that they resisted the temptation to go overboard on CG. The overall darkness of the film probably allowed them to rely on conventional costumes more than they could otherwise have done, and I think that was a plus.I can see why some may have complained that the film's been resticted from full-on gore because of its certification; but then the chestburster scene is no longer something new so I don't think there would have been any great dramatic effect to have been had from trying to focus in on it.Overall, a pretty solid and enjoyable movie and I was pleased to see that the mythology built up by the comics (and indeed the previous films) hadn't been abandoned.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I was surprised how short it was - usually alien and predator keep you in suspense for ages - but this thing was all over in about 5 minutes it seemed.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

That may be a consequence of the audience already knowing both beasties pretty well by now - not to mention the fact that the certificate probably didn't allow for things to get too suspenseful!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I thought the rating was a joke - dangermouse was scarier than that.I read a review someplace that says that most of the humans are dead within 10mins of the 'game' starting. I still reckon there should have been some more shooting (I don't think it should have had much effect) but it would have drawn it out nicely. What was there was good - I just thought there should have been more of it.So... who's looking forward to Blade 3???
Dream big and bold and daring.