Megas XLR

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Megas XLR

Post by AndyThomas »

I think that's the right title - new giant robot show on Toonami. Amusingly done, the theme tune goes along the lines of "we love giant robots, you love giant robots". Tonight's episode - a brilliant micky take of Battle of the Planets with "S-Force", their Zoltron / Power Rangers-esque "Zorps" and ludicrously long-winded "even bigger robot mode" name. Then to add insult to injury Megas XLR manages to squeeze the defeated Zorps onto itself to make its own "even bigger robot mode"!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Megas XLR

Post by FZeroOne »

Everyone loves giant robots!  I've heard of this, but haven't seen an episode yet. Apparently the creators do know their stuff though...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
FZeroOne

Megas XLR

Post by FZeroOne »

Okay, I've now seen an episode. Its not bad. I don't want to judge it on one epsiode, though, especially the reasonably generic one I've just seen.One slight problem for me is that I don't think I can give an unbiased opinion - having been a mecha fan since, er, I was the same height as John-Lee, its difficult to give a fair review without the temptation to point out that theres already some pretty terrific mecha parodies out there - Nadesico, to an extent Evangelion, and of course, the sublime Gunbuster - Aim For The Top! It is the first US one, though, so some slack can be given... I did like the fact that Megas appears to crush Gundam in the opening sequence, though!One thing - the enemies, at least some of them, appear to be aliens. If Megas XLR was more serious, that could be seen as a Mecha Show Romantic Code Violation - the good guy can't fall in love with an enemy pilot. After all, you can't kiss a squid...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
felice

Megas XLR

Post by felice »

Speciesist! Kissing might be a problem, but there's no reason the good guy couldn't fall in love with a sentient squid. And tentacles make up for a lot ;)
FZeroOne

Megas XLR

Post by FZeroOne »

In a recent poll, 99% of Japanese school-girls claimed that tentacles were not their ideal choice for a romantic night out with an alien beast from another dimension... I've nothing against squid. And technically, I suppose, yes, they can be kissed. [1] Its just I'm yet to see a mecha pilot declare his love on the battlefield for a Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni... [1] Providing you don't mind having your nose sawn off by its beak. And being squirted with ink. And be sure to check its a squid and not a blue-ringed octopus, because it could be be a very short night out otherwise...
FZeroOne

Megas XLR

Post by FZeroOne »

Okay, I've just seen the episode Andy mentioned. That was pretty good. The voice acting for S-Force was absolutely superb, and I also liked some of the small touches, like the video-screen in S-Force HQ. "Ender" was also an obvious homage to a typical Go Nagai robot villain.One thing that really got my attention, was the Key-op type characters first sentence, and Duchess's embarrassed reply. The original reason why the "Jinpei the Swallow" character in Gatchaman became the whistling Key-Op in Battle of the Planets is that his original Japanese version was so potty mouthed the usual editing tricks couldn't cover all the dialogue! I can't work out whether Mega XLRs creators just used an obvious joke, or if they knew the deeper joke behind the hooting...  
AndyThomas

Megas XLR

Post by AndyThomas »

Oh, these guys definitely love their anime influences. I just caught the first ever episode, and smack me with a kipper if a miniature Space Cruiser Yamato didn't pop out of Megas' chest and open fire! I'm waiting for the time when pop culture shows implode as they end up referencing themselves - rather like Farscape referencing Buffy...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Megas XLR

Post by FZeroOne »

Haven't seen that one yet, but very cool nod to one of the first anime to make it in Western markets!I recently saw an episode featuring a group of warrior-knight robots that Coop manages to irk big-time - huge number of Go Nagai-style robot show references there, particularly Brave Reideen and Mazinger Z (and if the lead robots name "Zanzor" in this episode wasn't inspired by Tranzor Z, I'll eat my spring-loaded rocket punches!).Somewhat differently, I also recently saw the Clone Wars animated shorts all the way through. It gives me hope for Genndy Tartaovskys next project, which is none other than Astro-Boy - which is pretty much where it all started...!
FZeroOne

Megas XLR

Post by FZeroOne »

I've now had a chance top see some more of Megas XLR. I have to say, I've enjoyed quite a few of these episodes. There was one with Megas back-up manual control system, which was based off a Dance-Dance Revolution style machine, complete with Japanese language encouragements!Its not a masterpiece, but then, nothing says it has to be. It perhaps also says something about the growing influence of Japanese pop culture that there can be an American made parody of giant robot shows!I also feel that it would make quite a cool - and do-able - live action movie, too...
GenoGear

Megas XLR

Post by GenoGear »

Just got around to seeing this on the few days I had of work. I like it lots of stuff kids just will not get. I love the 2 eps with Bruce Campbell playing the bad guy. I just love it how chuck stuff it from Evil Dead and Buba Ho-Tep.