Children's Books

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Rachel

Children's Books

Post by Rachel »

Does anyone still read any novels intended for children? I have read Sleepovers by Jacqueline Wilson a few times; it's a good source of empathy. A bitchy girl called Chloe keeps victimising Daisy (the heroine) for no apparent reason, making it clear she doesn't want her in the group. As I was usually the one in the Daisy-position at school, the ending of Sleepovers is extremely satisfying: Chloe gets frightened by something in the night, and literally wets herself. Only one potential change to the story could make me be on the bully's side: if Daisy had dreadful taste in TV programmes, AND managed to cast a spell over the channels (making them pander to her ideas of what should be shown), only then would I applaud Chloe's endeavours to make her life a perpetual misery.The book is embellished with plenty of tantalising descriptions of party-cakes, too!
FZeroOne

Children's Books

Post by FZeroOne »

Does Harry Potter count? Also the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman and "Shadowmancer", though its not something I go out of my way to do. Still, a good book is a good book. I keep meaning to find a copy of "The Princess Bride" sometime, as I like the film a lot...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.