Who are you? who who, who who?

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

I would heartily recommend Interstella 5555. I had a quick game of X-Bomber and was really impressed. I really love retro style gaming and like to play the old arcade classics on my PC.  I love games like R-Type, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Street Fighter 2 and Bubble Bobble.I too like the TRON Legacy sound track; it was certainly better than the movie!I saw in another post that you played Crysis. What games are you into Crash? I often like to dable in the old space trading games and loved Elite and Wing Commander. I see Ubisoft are releasing a new X game that looks fab:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0I know this thread is going slightly off-topic so I'll post my gaming history in a new thread and maybe others can follow.

Even in Death, I still Serve
Crash

Post by Crash »

0.79 was a good release. I'm not sure what features made it into that version but I know that 0.80 has a lot more graphical polish and performance savings, quite a few new features such ad the 'F-01 System' (I'll allow you all to ponder what that might be) as well as the maybe most brilliant boss I ever saw in a shooter.I mostly like shooters (3D/2D). I also like space combat sims. Unfortunately, the only commercial games still produced frequently in my genres are 3D, FPS shooters.I tried to get into X3 when I was younger but it was impossible to play and I got bored. I get the feeling that I should have persevered.At that time my XP system had to be flushed every 5 minutes and it was never re-installed.I quite often buy games and never play them. Borderlands and CoD4 are both still in their wrappers from when they were brand-new out.Its finding the time, really.I often play old games such as Descent3 and Aquanox (and even the tank vehicle combat game Recoil) because they were never succeeded.Yes, vehicular combat really gets the juices flowing as well.I prefer vertical 2D spaceshooters to R-Type horizontal style for reasons that are difficult to explain. I would never have made X-Bomber as a horizontal-scroller.I also have never owned a console or any special-purpose gaming computer. I like having one, fast machine with Windows that does everything for me and can be carried around and used in transit.I enjoyed the Tron film too. My jaw is still recovering from seeing Gem in her costume. (I'm planning on making Rain; a hitherto unseen character in my game just as icy).
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with Tron Legacy, but have to agree that the music by Daft Punk was absolutely fabulous. There's also a great remix album out now featuring remixes from the original soundtrack by various dance artists. Definitely worth a listen.I used to be absolutely obsessed by 2D shoot-em-ups and would bunk off school to play Twin Cobra in a smokey arcade in the late 80s. I'm still pretty handy at that game and have a blast every now and then.R-Type was, and still is, a really hard and frustrating game. Reflexes alone aren't enough with that game and you had to remember a lot of sequences in order to complete it.Have to say, the original Tron arcade game is still very good and the vector graphic driven Star Wars arcade game still plays like a dream. Wish I had the money (and space) to buy an original cockpit version.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

@ CrashLoved Decent 3. Very good game. I do have a very high specification gaming machine but it is sort of a necessity to play the latest games. Really looking forward to Battlefield 3.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfrrAp1b ... re=relmfuI too have lots of games that I purchased and never really played. I do tend to purchase a lot of my games through Steam but that is because of my ability to lose game discs. @ShaneI'm going to have to look at that remix disc. Is it called Tron: Legacy R3CONFIGUR3D? I remember going to the local arcade when I was at school and they had the Star Wars arcade game, Street Fighter Two and lots of other classics. I remember one day i managed to complete Street Fighter 2 with Chun Li and by the end of it I had a massive crowd around me seeing if I could do it. I saw on-line that there is a company that refurbish old arcade games and you can buy the original Star Wars vector driven cockpit machine for just over £2900. Star Wars GameOne day if I win the lottery I'm going to buy a house with a cellar and convert it to an old arcade. Did you ever play Gauntlet?

Crash

Post by Crash »

I'm not keen on games that expect you to remember your previous playthroughs of the levels in order to succeed.Obviously, with any game experience is going to help you through any level the second time around but with a lot of shooters like Raptor, where the enemies move in exactly the same way and do exactly the same thing every time, that really strikes me as cheap.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Well please accept a belated but hearty welcome to the Forum from muggins here... I'm very pleased you were able to get through the registration process As Forum regulars will know, I'm the technophobic luddite around here, and my computer game playing ability extends no further than Tetris on the gameboy I'm also pretty addicted to emoticons as you may have noticed But I do hope you stick around a while, and yes, any help on the EP18 re-dub would be gratefully received. We are looking for budding voice-actors...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

Thank you for the welcome Vanessa. I had no idea you were a technophobic luddite. In relation to episode 18 I'll have to take your direction as you are the only person who knows what I sound like in real life.
Shane

Post by Shane »

(Mach1na @ Apr. 22 2011,12:28)QUOTEI'm going to have to look at that remix disc. Is it called Tron: Legacy R3CONFIGUR3D? Yeah, that's the one! It complements the original soundtrack very well. I'm a big fan of the original 80s Tron soundtrack too. Both films are slightly duff, but the music has always been cracking! QUOTEDid you ever play Gauntlet?Oh yes! I lost a fair few quid in that arcade machine back in the day. It was at the height of the D&D craze, I think, so it was really cool to be able to team up with 3 other mates and actually play out quests on a machine."Remember, don't shoot food!"
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

It has nice but fairly bland sprites by the looks of it.Heretic was the master - probably better than Doom if not for the fact that I prefer Sci-Fi to Fantasy.
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

(Crash Override @ Apr. 25 2011,20:18)QUOTEIt has nice but fairly bland sprites by the looks of it.Heretic was the master - probably better than Doom if not for the fact that I prefer Sci-Fi to Fantasy.Heretic. That takes me back. Do you remember Blood and Rise of the Triads?I just got in from watching the new Thor film and was pleasantly surprised. Actually I thought it was damn awesome and it is defiantly one to watch at the cinema.I remember the difficulty levels from Heretic used to make me laugh.1. Thou needeth a wet-nurse2. Yellowbellies-r-us3. Bringest them oneth4. Thou art a smite-meister5. Black plague possesses thee