Page Layout Tweak

Details of updates to SFXB
AndyThomas

Page Layout Tweak

Post by AndyThomas »

This didn't make the site unviewable, but it was one of those little things that unexpectedly bite you when trying to design a web site. I work in 800 by 600 at home, and the site's designed to expand on bigger screens. Unfortunately due to an oversight on my part the banner won't have looked central on screens bigger than 800 wide - that should now be fixed. Also, the left hand column text on wider screens should now be justified, rather than centred as it seemed to have defaulted to. I'd be interested to hear if anyone using 1024 wide screens finds the site too wide - I could restrict it to the 800 width I normally view it at, although I'd rather leave it flexible...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Page Layout Tweak

Post by AndyThomas »

Something of a followup to the above, this. On further investigation it turns out it was Internet Explorer 6 which was causing some of my difficulties. In order to combat the issue I'm having a stab at switching over to heavier use of CSS, particularly now that browsers are supporting it better. I'd be grateful if you could look at the Episodes pages and tell me if they don't look like the other pages on the site on your machine. They're using a lot of CSS functionality and I'd like to know if they seem broken on older browsers. They seem OK on IE 5.5. If they seem to work OK I'll gradually update the rest of the site.
AndyThomas

Page Layout Tweak

Post by AndyThomas »

I really shouldn't stay up this late - but fortunately I've got a day off tomorr... well, today ;) The site's now been completely CSS'd and there are a few other style amendments and such like that I've carried out as I was going along.  Please let me know if this improves things for IE6 users - or indeed if it makes things worse.Now that Genesis is out of the way I'll have a closer look at the rest of the site again, check the links etc and decide what else I might do with it now.  I certainly intend to add to the 80s section at some point...
Happosai

Page Layout Tweak

Post by Happosai »

Not that I've seen any problems with your site (I haven't actually looked to hard though), but this site is really informative about CSS: http://www.richinstyle.com/It might open your eyes to some potential problems (I know I was surprised that implementing CSS wasn't as simple as I first thought...).[Happosai]
AndyThomas

Page Layout Tweak

Post by AndyThomas »

Thanks Happosai. Daz also highlighted a couple of bizarre issues to me - like, when specifying a font size, you have to specify your font names again, even if already present from a higher element. It seems that the browsers are being quite strict about implementation of these standards now, so it looks like you need to be very careful these days. Makes life harder for us poor hand coders!