New look baby, yeah!

Details of updates to SFXB
Bradster

New look baby, yeah!

Post by Bradster »

How very strange...Okay, I added <P> tags to the "fixed" page in my link above. Then, I checked IE5 for Windows and it now displays as you want it to. However, now that it has that P tag, the other browsers mess up. Here's a snapshot of four browsers running side-by-side:From left to right, they are:OmniWeb 4.1, IE 5.1 for Mac, Mozilla 0.9.8, IE 5 for WindowsStrangely enough, OmniWeb renders both the original and the fix page the same: like Windows IE does the fix. However, Mozilla's rendering should be considered the most "technically correct" of them all. Not only does Mozilla render identical across all platforms, it also is extremely standards compliant, more so than IE6.Well, I'll let you decide what to do here. It looks like this is just one of those bugs where you've gotta pick one preferred browser unless you want to outright redesign the navigation.
Bradster

New look baby, yeah!

Post by Bradster »

Ah, much better! I just have one more niggle: the first item in the menus needs "selected" in their option tag, like thisCode Sample <OPTION Value="aboutshow/index.html" selected>I know, I know, it shouldn't really be necesary since it's the first item, but it does make the code more browser friendly... so I don't see this when I visit the site with OmniWeb: Gracias! :biggrin:
AndyThomas

New look baby, yeah!

Post by AndyThomas »

This Omni thing is bloomin' picky! I'll bear it in mind next time I do a site wide update, I'm busy killing Scions in Battlezone 2 at the moment!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Matt Darcy

New look baby, yeah!

Post by Matt Darcy »

Mike just read your comment, my early programming started in forth (after my commdore 64) I used to write Sun Microsystems boot sequences on the OBP's forth is still the languaged used for this task now even on the latest Startfire 15K's
Matt Darcy

New look baby, yeah!

Post by Matt Darcy »

Andy if you are catering for the 6 people world wide that use omni web could you make sure the website is friendly to sun Hot Java web browser please....... ha ha ha ha aha ha ha
Bradster

New look baby, yeah!

Post by Bradster »

haha-- wait-- hey! ;)Actually, OmniWeb has been around longer than Microsnot's Internet Explorer. Omni Group was a company that wrote software for NeXT cubes and later for users of the OpenStep operating system (that evolved from NeXTSTEP). When Apple bought NeXT, they fixed up the guts to work as part of Mac OS X. Thus, most old NeXT software could run on Macs. The Omni Group started back to work updating their older programs (OmniWeb was one of them) and produced a gorgeous browser for Mac OS X (not often you hear someone describe a browser as "gorgeous" eh?). I'd estimate from what I've read online and my participation in forums that nearly half of the current Mac community probably use OmniWeb. That's nothing to snuff at!:biggrin:
AndyThomas

New look baby, yeah!

Post by AndyThomas »

Good question... Probably permanent, as it takes a while to plan out global changes like that, but equally probably also subject to tweaking. So any feedback is definitely encouraged. I think the drop downs work OK, but I'd be in trouble if I had more than five main sections! I also feel that the left hand navigation now tends to look a little lost if there isn't a lot of it, but I don't think there's much I can do to alter that and it's consistent if nothing else. I am going to sort some more graphics out for the general layout, I think, now I've got PSP 7 - but I've got to get the hang of layers first!
AndyThomas

New look baby, yeah!

Post by AndyThomas »

Hmph. Looks like my latest re-jig has somehow managed to push the width of the page just far enough to give it horizontal scroll bars in 800 by 600. But hey, the drop down menus should now display correctly in Omni, so that's OK! ;) I think the width thing is down to my using a dodgy combination of style sheets and cellpadding which don't quite seem to like each other - just when I thought I'd beaten them!