The return of Big Dai X?

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

That's pretty much what I think Andy.Now that I've actually gone to the trouble of rebuilding the site again it may as well exist as it's own entity. I am building it with deep links though, so the gallery will link to it's counterpart on SFXB, same with videos etc. The best of both worlds, just like before.having the site on Crash's space will mean there shouldn't be a repeat of a couple of years ago when the site went down due to life stuff happening to me, in the shape of a new city and a new job, coupled with a slight disillusionment with the website itself, well, the internet in general.This way the content can remain online, and I can get on with my other projects, leaving Crash as it's caretaker, with the option for Andy to host it if there's ever any problems.Between the 3 of us we can keep as much Star Fleet material online as possible.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Dr. Ben

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Dr. Ben »

Any updates yet guys?Will the revenge of Makara comic be posted on the new version?
Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

I've been suffering from a pretty nasty headcold for the last week, so no work has been done to the website. I will get back to it next week though.I have a lot of the Makara material on disc, but I'd rather keep that seperate from the main Dai X site. The Makara material was very much a concept in the end rather than an actual comic. It had some good ideas though, The Delta Z seemed to work, and seemed a natural progression from the Dai X in the series.maybe the material can go on a fansite one day.
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

Oh, can I have a picture of the Delta Z? eventually I'd love to include it in my game...I can quite sympathise. My impetus on X-Bomber has been broken the last couple of days. I got bitten or stung by some insect here, which really knocked me for six.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by AndyThomas »

So is the current plan to host on Crash's space, then? What do you want to do URL wise - BigDaiX isn't available any more, is it? Obviously I can link through to whatever URL it's on, but we could adopt a frame-style redirect or something if we could find an appropriate domain. Any thoughts?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

I think that's the idea, last I heard. We've gotta do something about the domain though I think. xbomber.gibbering.net/bigdaix has about all the sex appeal of a dead turkey. I think I can set up some sort of domain forwarding without resorting to frames. We'll have to see if it works....com isn't the only domain type in the world. I'm sure we can find something similar that's not trying to sell us cut-price valium or been hijacked by the south africans.
Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

Yeah, I think Crash is providing the space. I'm really just into getting the site revamped and back up, so I'd rather leave the problems about domains and suchlike to somebody else, which sound's lazy of me, but otherwise I'm leaving myself overstreched work wise. I will have a quick check to see if there are any potential domain names out there though, it doesn't just have to be Big Dai X.comI think we decided that the site would be a seperate entity and not encased in another's by a frame. I'm deep linking to SFXB though. I'm wanting Big Dai X to be much more of an easy access archive site this time around. I also selfishly would love to have the material back up as it's something to put on my CV. It took a fair bit of time and research to get the original site together, especially all the hours spent scanning and encoding, so it would be great to have some kind of record back up there, otherwise it was a lot time spent for nothing.It is a pain about the old domain being effectively held to ransom, but I'm sure there is a way around it. I myself don't really have a problem with xbomber.gibbering.net/bigdaixYeah, it's a mouthful, but it would be getting hits primarily from SFXB links, that's how it worked before anyway, until more regular visitors bookmark the page.I'll sort out a montage of TROM images. I really need to do a definitive technical drawing of the Delta Z at some point, it had potential.

Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

Well, I checked out www.123-reg.co.uk They can do a www.bigdaix.co.uk domain name for 2 years for £2.59 a year.That really isn't going to break my piggy bank, so I could do that.You guys are more in the know about this type of thing, so what do you think?

Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

Yes, certainly, it can all go on my space at gibbering.net. I'll upload it thru the week while I'm at work. I can just leave my notebook transmitting away.The space is given to me by a friend who trusts me to put it to good use. It'll be available for at least 2 years. If it ever falls thru - I'll rent my own equivalent plan to keep the ship afloat. It's not really that expensive. I can just get rid of my existing hosting, which doesn't give me nearly enough space given the cost.Perhaps we can work at putting the Return of Makara material up in the not-too-distant future.I've had a real itch to code something for X-Bomber but my mouse-hand was shaped like a frickin' football after that insect sting or whatever. I had really bad headaches too. So anyway back to X-Bomber.
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

Crash Override is back up. Where's everyone gone? How's the website coming? I think I'll use just that same service to register my domain this next year. That's a very good deal. It's a good job I registered a .co.uk