Text - justified, or not?

Comments on this forum and Star Fleet sites
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

For some reason, now that work's upgraded to IE 6, the text in the left hand columns of SFXB is centred. Why this should be I don't know - by default it ought to be left aligned, and it used to be! At home, 5.5 displays it as left aligned, but 6 seems to do something else with it. Anyone else come across this at all? I thought I'd fixed it with a CSS command but my syntax is wrong so I'll be re-doing it, probably tonight - odd one though.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I'm starting to narrow this issue down - it seems increasingly likely that IE 6's default for table cells is center aligned, not left aligned as it has been. So if the site's looking a little odd that's why - pages like the episode guide have gone doo-lally in 1024. I'll have to do a bit more tinkering - coding by hand I haven't had lots of justify codes so I'll have to look at that again and update the site. Happy happy joy joy...!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Well, finally found a definitive answer and it is bl**dy typical of Microsoft. Apparently, if you have a table within a table, or a table within a DIV tag that's centrally aligned, in IE 6 the result is that the text in the table cells defaults to the center - not to the left. Just in IE 6 though - IE 5.5 etc do it right. Now, in fairness to Microsoft I suppose I should admit that this may be an inheritance thing - and ironically IE 6 may actually be doing it right according to W3 standards, whereas in the past it was broken. So, on the plus side, I know how I can fix this quite easily - but you'd really think if it worked OK in the previous IE release it wouldn't get broken in the next one!
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

Interesting bit of information Andy worth noting.Worth noting that Microsoft state that they are moving as %100 as possible towards wc3 standards. Check out the fact that cetain MS only tags have been dropped. And Front page 2000 only supports Wc3 tags and formatting. As a result wc3 are supporting IE far more the mozzila, netscape and konquerer. For once I think it is a shame that more browsers are not being as supportive of MS. (Suns Hot java browser is %100 wc3 but not used for some insane reason ??)I will drop you a mail tonight as I would like to have a chat about your use of CSS if thats ok.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Sure, although be warned that the new machine is getting installed tonight and I'm still umming and ahing over what to do with the old one. One option is to take the old hard drive out and put it in the new machine, but of course that'll leave the old machine sans hard drive. I suppose I could put it back when I've copied the data across, but...!
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

Heh...it makes me laugh so hard that Microsoft is making a big deal about having IE be W3C standards compliant, as though they're doing us a big favour (same goes with their latest push for improving security in their products rather than adding yet more features). Nice to know the WSP's (http://www.webstandards.org/) campaign has finally got somewhere. Now the fun will begin with all those web sites that'll break in a standards compliant browser because they use tricks to get them to work in the old broken ones...!BTW, check out Mozilla and Opera for standard compliant web browsers.[Happosai]