Terrahawks official DVD Release this year!

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Indeed - and the person he's responding to is yours truly! I got around the groups quite a lot in those days, it's unfortunate in a sense that I can rarely tell when someone has come to my site via a group because otherwise I'd probably be more involved on a number of groups. Anime sites and similar often mention the series, but it also falls between the cracks as being neither Sentai nor Anime. Right, enough with the reminiscing, must get some sleep!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Do you know exactly which month the DVD is coming out?I assume there are probably forums for Gerry Anderson shows in general, which must allow for discussion of Terrahawks. I'm just guessing though; haven't checked it out.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I imagine the Fanderson site's got one at least - don't know if you'd need to register. Unfortunately, although Fanderson does seem to be releasing music to the series, it doesn't seem to attract quite as much attention as his other work - perhaps because it isn't 100% pure Anderson as such. And the firm releasing the DVD doesn't seem to have a web site or advertise particularly heavily, so...
simoncoverdale

Post by simoncoverdale »

Hello Rachel and all,Just a quickie. I believe the release will be in the summer for series 1, rapidly followed by 2 and 3, then finally a box set around Xmas.Once I've a little more information I'll pass it on. As i've said, I'm currently in discussion with Revelations solicitors and surprisingly enough I think I'm managed to swing them around a bit!Basically told them that theres a massive fan base and I was merely providing an access point to their series. Now they are planning a release, my job is done!Regards,SIMON COVERDALEwww.StarFleetDirect.comex www.TerrahawksDirect.com
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Disclaimer: this isn't legal advice, as you're not my client Simon, but hypothetically...I suppose their somewhat knee-jerk reaction would be:Rev: You're producing pirated copies of a series we own the rights to on a commercial basis.Sim: Sorry, didn't know, stopped now.Rev: Right, now we're going to sue you.Sim: What for?Rev: For taking sales off us - loss of profit.Sim: But you don't have any commercial releases out yet and didn't own the rights until recently. Where's your loss of profit by my actions?Rev: Um, ah, well, people who've bought the series from you won't buy it from us.Sim: But I only had a few episodes. How do you know people won't buy your proper released DVD versions anyway, even having bought mine?Rev: Ah. We don't.(Rev's solicitors disappear in a puff of logic).Plus, of course, as you say Simon, you've effectively demonstrated (as to a lesser degree this place does) that there's a market for their products. But realistically, what you were doing was never going to tread on the toes of a serious commercial launch even if you'd carried on with it. I suppose they'll be after your domain name next!The sort of people who are in real danger with this sort of thing are the Ebayers who sell VCDs of stuff like Beast Wars/Machines - they're still commercially viable and that could land you in hot water. I had to smile at the sheer cheek of one such auction (I was checking on my own Beast Wars auction's competition) where he was doing a VCD of Beast Machines and all his screenshots had the Fox Kids logo clearly emblazoned on the top left!
simoncoverdale

Post by simoncoverdale »

Hello Andy and all,Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I think I'm on top of it at the moment.I have actually gone down the route of "I've stopped, you weren't around at the time, hence no problem". I have actually offered to send them a cheque for the value of the sets I sold, payable to "NSPCC", who I know would be a far better recipient of the funds that Revelation.We'll see what sort of reaction it gets. I'll keep you all posted.Regards,SIMON COVERDALEwww.StarFleetDirect.com
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Hmm. The irony of all this being, of course, that Revelations' legal fees for engaging you in this way will far outweigh any actual commercial benefit they'll derive from doing so. But then that's not uncommon. Do you happen to know if it's an in-house lawyer, Simon? That would go some way to explaining why they're pursuing it. To be honest I'm surprised they've written more than one letter, but if the bloke's in-house he may be trying to justify his existence, you know? Feel free to take this to the messenger if you'd prefer.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for the info, Simon and Andy. It's a #### shame that Thawks doesn't get so much attention, considering it's the best Fanderson programme I have seen, by a long way! I think there are some other shows made by GA that aren't particularly well-known; when I looked at the website, via a link someone posted here (concerning the news of the Thawks CD), I discovered there were more Anderson programmes than I realised. I guess the 3 most famous ones (Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet) get discussed most often. I probably shouldn't investigate the forum further, anyway, I would probably end up offending most of the people there! Because it would slip out, sooner or later, that I think those 3 programmes suck! It's funny how I just could never take to them, as a child or as an adult, yet Starfleet and Terras have always sent delightful quivers down my backbone.