Terrahawks DVD Review!

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Rachel

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Rachel »

If you don't want to buy the whole series, I recommend Volume 4, as I find that the most enjoyable of all. Just a tip for all those who want to be selective.
Shane

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Shane »

I think Terrahawks gets so much bad press because it was made in the Eighties. All of Big G's puppet shows prior to that had that classic 60's feel that everyone considers timeless now. The Eighties are always going to be judged as a slightly tasteless era full of tacky excess. Not my own thoughts you understand, just what I think people think whwn they hear the Eighties mentioned.I've only seen the first 4 episodes of Terrahawks so far but the show is to my mind far more entertaining than Big G's other shows, although I understand totally why ThunderBirds is held in such high esteem as it is a genuine classic.I tell you what I don't like about the new Terrahawks releases and that's the covers. The 1st volume seems ok but what's up with Vol 2 people it looks hideous. I would have much prefered the original picture scans from the show (like the original videos had) rather than the dodgy replicas that adorn the 2nd volume's cover.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, bit scary those, aren't they?! I suspect that most of the fan input went into the first DVD, although I haven't checked to see what extras are on the second I must admit. Revelation may not be spending a massive amount on the series - has anyone seen it in "normal" stores at all? I suspect it's only the on-line places who are stocking it for the most part, although it seemed to be doing OK on Blackstar's chart...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Rachel

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Rachel »

Is the most recent Anderson programme Lavender Castle? I remember hearing about that coming out in the 90s, but I never watched it, and know nothing about the characters. Did it go down well with the Fanderson members?I like the bloke who did the Terrahawks review on the 80s Nostalgia site, as he also has the good taste/sense to realise that it's far better than the average Anderson show. I can't believe some fans of the traditional progs are so moronic and lame, not to appreciate it! Although I will try not to be too rude about them, as my nice schoolfriend Emma was one such: a big Thunderbirds fan who was looking forward to the arrival of Terrahawks, and found it disappointing. (As I may have said before, her experience was the opposite of my own, as I watched it as a means of finding a substitute for Starfleet, and liked it much more than I expected!)I gave Thunderbirds another chance when I was 17, and still found it dull. I would be more tolerant of other people's point of view, except that they had easier access to what they like, for years, and I can only say it's a good job I have a certain amount of patience!
Rachel

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Rachel »

Shane, I'm interested, why do you think the 80s in general are considered tacky? Did the people who told you that, give any reason for their impression of the decade?PS. If you have only seen Vol 1 of Thawks, I will prepare you, the best is yet to come! Because although it is still very good, I rate this "scene-setting" first volume as the poorest of the 6.
Shane

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Shane »

Just looking at it from a subjective point of view I think the general popular concensus is that the 80's was the decade that taste forgot. It's obviously not my point of view, because I'm a total 80's nut and a closet New Romantic. But a lot of people do shudder when they see some of the things that the Eighties produced. There is still an underground scene where the fashions and the music of the Eighties are experiencing a bit of a revival at the moment, did anyone catch Fisherspooner on a recent edition of Top Of The Pops?Terrahawks was given the Impossible to live up to tagline "ThunderBirds for the Eighties" so I guess that didn't help it to be embraced by the Big G's hardcore fans. If they gave it a chance and just excepted it as bit of fun they'd probably like it a lot more. I enjoyed the first 4 episodes and I'm Glad to hear you say that it get's even better Rachel. Shane.(Edited by Shane at 8:48 pm on July 31, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Happosai

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Happosai »

Regarding the 80s being tacky...I would say that the further from the 80s we get, the less tacky it will appear in the public's eye...after all, the 70s were considered a decade of bad taste during the 80s and early 90s, and then the whole retro-70s thing became cool. I think it has to do with being a certain age...if you're young, then things won't seem that tacky since you haven't enough life experience to properly compare things (mostly only interested in the here and now)...if you're over a certain age, then you've already been through at least one change of fashion (and quite possibly have lost touch anyway and are stuck in a bygone decade...;)...its the ones inbetween (teens to thirties?) that look back at the last set of fashions and say they were tacky...As you say, 80s stuff is now beginning to seem cool in the 00s, the Electroclash/Synthpop-revival music scene being just one indicator, (retro video game graphics being another)...I predict there will be a 80s fashion revival at some point this decade...(eek!) And of course there *are* things from the 80s (music, films, TV programmes) that aren't tainted with the memories of tackyness...[Happosai]
Rachel

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Rachel »

People (including myself) tend to compare Terrahawks and Thunderbirds especially because they have such similar titles, I guess.
AndyThomas

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by AndyThomas »

Y'know, I'm not sure that Revelation are releasing the rest of the series on DVD? The second volume is in the catalogues as a video, but there doesn't seem to be a DVD unless it's coming out later. Curious...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Adam

Terrahawks DVD Review!

Post by Adam »

Calm down Rachel, Calm down, I'm annoyed too, I like Terrahawks a lot but it's not perfect I mean it has got some rather abysmal episodes likePlay it again Sram,Space Giant,Cry UFO,A Christmas Miracle andSpace Cyclops.Why did Tony Barwick write this rubbish when he could have done some classics like the ones he did for Captain Scarlet likeWinged Assassin,Big Ben Strikes Again,Traitor andAttack on Cloudbase.And also the classic Joe 90 episodeAttack of the TigerWell he did do a few all-time classics for Terrahawks likeThunder-Roar,First Strike and Gold.But Terrahawks isn't as good as Captain Scarlet in my opinion because Terrahawks had Cy-star and Stew Dappels who are very annoying which ruined the show, but I still like Terrahawks, I try my best not to think of it as a comedy.This is my very first message on this form. I just hope I have made any enemies if I have offended any one for what I've said about Terrahawks then I'm sorry.(Edited by Adam at 11:24 pm on Oct. 12, 2002)