The Good, Average and Bad of Series 1

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Maybe doing all 39 episodes was not a good thing to do, as I’m the only one that has all the episodes. But I'm sure you've all seen the first 13 episodes completely unedited so what are everyone’s good, average and bad of the first season episodes? Mine areThe GoodExpect the Unexpected Part 1Thunder-RoarSpace SamuraiThe Ugliest Monster of allThe GunMind MonsterThe AverageClose CallThe SporillaHappy MadeDayThunder PathThe BadExpect the Unexpected Part 2From Here to InfinityGunfight at Okay's Corral
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I wouldn't call any of them bad, but Volumes 1 and 2 aren't quite as fantastic as the others. My 5 best epsiodes, of the first 2 series, are: Operation SAS, Ten Top Pop, Midnight Blue, To Catch a Tiger, and Zero's Finest Hour.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Wasn't Yuri the name of the first man in space? There seems to be a tendency to go for some space-themed names in these series, like Orion and Halley in Starfleet.I don't know much about the video game Zelda, but I once asked someone if it was about a witch. THey replied that there was a witch in it, but Zelda was actually the name of the princess! I thought, shouldn't a princess have a pretty, innocent name, like Bryony or Blossom, or something?
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Wow, I quite covet her eyes, they're spectacular! Can't say the same about the ears, though!Real people who have the misfortune to be called Zelda probably hated the fact that the name was chosen for the Terrahawks villainess; although I have a feeling it already had witch-like connotations, before that.
Adam

Post by Adam »

>>I wouldn't call any of them bad<<Oh come on, you can't say you enjoy every episode, there's got to be one or two episodes you don't like.>>Operation SAS, Ten Top Pop, Midnight Blue, To Catch a Tiger, and Zero's Finest Hour<< So you prefer series Two then?
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Yes, the series does seem to have become more brilliant as it got going. I'm not knocking the first 2 volumes, they're still far superior to the average TV programme, but I think Vol 3 is notably better, and the second series is "einfach klasse" (for some reason, I just remembered that phrase from my old German lessons at school, many moons ago).I agreed with you before that Cry UFO was a disappointing episode; someone was obviously running low on good ideas by the time that was written. And I suppose Ma's Monsters was quite superfluous, because I can't really see the point of clip-shows, I would much rather see the clips all in their original context.
Adam

Post by Adam »

>>someone was obviously running low on good ideas by the time that was written<<But the problem is Cry UFO was written by the creative and genius mind of Tony Barwick who wrote Classics for Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and The Secret Service likeLord Parkers 'Oliday (Thunderbirds)Rochet (Thunderbirds)Winged Assassin (Captain Scarlet)Big Ben Strikes Again (Captain Scarlet)Traitor (Captain Scarlet)Noose of Ice (Captain Scarlet)Attack on Cloudbase (Captain Scarlet)The Unorthodox Shepherd (Joe 90)Arctic Adventure (Joe 90)Attack of the Tiger (Joe 90)See You Down There (Joe 90) andMore Haste, Less Speed (The Secret Service)As well as some great Terrahawks episodes likeThunder-RoarFirst StrikeGold and The Ultimate Menace But he did mess up with Cry UFO, Play it again Sram, A Christmas Miracle, Space Cyclops and Operation Zero.  Some Flashback episodes are ok I've got nothing against them.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

How much did G Anderson & C Burr actually contribute to the writing of each episode?