DVD Box Set

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

>>Perhaps they were reluctant to do that so early in the show<< Why not kill him so early in the show?Captain Scarlet was killed in the first three episodes (The Mysterons, Winged Assassin and Big Ben Strikes Again)>>By the way, Adam, have you compared the quality of the film on DVD with the recordings that you have? Or any previously available (possibly digital) media?<<The quality of the DVD's is much better than the Compilation video quality (especially Happy MadeDay) I can't comment on the missing episodes. (the ones from TV) The episode on DVD I can compare it to is A Christmas Miracle (If that comes before Ma's Monsters) so not until Volumes 5 or 6.(Edited by Adam at 7:00 pm on Oct. 1, 2002)(Edited by Adam at 7:01 pm on Oct. 1, 2002)
Slacker

DVD Box Set

Post by Slacker »

Its funny you mention the sleeve for disc 3 Andy, I noticed that on my box set all the discs were in polythene wrapper, except for disc 3. The whole box set was also wrapped, which would indicate the volume 3 wrapper was removed before it got to the shop, and the sleeve itself looked like it had been removed as it wasnt in the case properly. I'd say there has certainly been a printing mistake somewhere and this is why the volume 3 discs are taking time to appear.I'd keep hold of your Vol 3 disc if it has a printing error, could well become a collectors item!Just finished watching the whole series today and I think the episodes get a lot better as they go along, my favourites are The Sporilla, Happy Madeday and Gunfight at Oakys Carral
Rachel

DVD Box Set

Post by Rachel »

Guess what I bought in Borders today? A DVD of Volume 3. My video copy from Ebay is very enjoyable, but is showing its age in just one respect: you have to turn the volume up high, in order to hear it. So I would have to replace it sooner or later, anyway.If the picture is very grainy, that's disappointing, but as long as they're not likely to break down on you, that's the main thing. My own TV aerial isn't perfect, so I sometimes get dodgy reception on my screen, and I'm sure any new video or DVD can't be as bad as that!
AndyThomas

DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

I know what people mean - it seems that the master was a little "dirty". Of course, at getting on for 20 years old and depending on the quality of the original filming media it was probably bound to look somewhat the worse for wear. Clearly these haven't been cleaned up, and of course the irony is that the DVD reproduces the original quality very authentically. There's a fascinating documentary on the Star Wars films showing the original footage before and after restoration for the release of the special editions. The difference in picture quality was incredible, but it was an arduous process, so I'm not surprised Revelation didn't have the Terrahawks material re-done.Incidentally, I know Carlton "digitally remastered" Thunderbirds - but does anyone know exactly what that means? Is that just a clever way of saying "turned it into a digital format"? I suppose you could make that claim of any material transferred to DVD if that's the case...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

Digitally Remastered means they've just cleaned up the film, removed any scratches that's all. This technique is ok for Thunderbirds and Stingray but you can still see scratches now and then but the treatment Captain Scarlet and Joe 90 got was far superior you’ll be lucky if you could a scratch on the film at all.
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

Has everybody got a copy of Volume 3 DVD now?I'm still waiting for mine I don't know why i'm so angry I seen the episodes, it's not like i'm missing anything.(Edited by Adam at 7:51 am on Oct. 2, 2002)
Slacker

DVD Box Set

Post by Slacker »

I can confirm that Terrahawks is 'out there', I saw it in the HMV near my work at Canary Wharf today, its only a small store but they had the box set. Couldnt see Transformers in there though!
Rachel

DVD Box Set

Post by Rachel »

One of my current housemates is a Terrahawks fan: last week, we were talking about children's progs, and I mentioned Terrahawks, expecting her to look blank; but it turned out that she had actually bought one of the new video copies of Volume 1, a few weeks earlier, and she said it was fantastic. (She has no memories of Starfleet, though.) 2 nights ago, we watched my favourite tape, Volume 4, in my room together.The sad news is that she won't be a housemate for much longer: she has found another house (nearer her work), about 15 mins away by train. I hope to keep in touch.Re the DVD quality, I can't check out my new Vol 3 until I get access to a DVD player (obviously!), I do hope the inferior picture doesn't impede enjoyment of the stories too much. Still, I think I would rather watch a fuzzy Terrahawks than a well-preserved copy of anything else! It's actually funny, I saw that Gerry Anderson documentary only 2 years ago, and the Terrahawks clips looked OK on that; I don't remember noticing any deterioration. The doc also had a clip of the aforementioned Twizzle series, (from before he got into the sci-fi/space genre at all) and that did look a bit faded, but was in black-and-white anyway.