DVD Box Set

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

I saw that documentary tooI remember they talked about Terrahawks and they had a scene with Yung-Star saying he was handsome. I can't remember what episode it was from but I guess it was from Zero's Finest Hour when Yung-Star was in the car saying "A mask, Why would I want to hide my handsome features.”?I was surprised when I saw Terrahawks on that documentary as Gerry hasn't talked about it since it finished and at that point in time (2000) I wasn't interested in Terrahawks anyway.
AndyThomas

DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

As I think I may have mentioned elsewhere, there does seem to be a curious effect on a lot of the model shots, almost as if they've been filmed through a telescope. I don't know whether it's obvious on the old VHS tapes? As discussed, it all boils down to the quality of the masters and the subsequent quality of the transfer to DVD. Clearly the BBC are going to be very good at that sort of thing, and with Dangermouse being animated perhaps it ages better? I think the problem with Terrahawks is that the masters were probably just locked away somewhere and not particularly well maintained. All the other examples probably had some care and restoration over time and were kept "in house", whereas I imagine the Terrahawks masters were probably "orphaned" at some point... It'd be interesting to know...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

Well I finally got Volume 3 today.I looked for the missing things on the spine but the spine has both the names and the volume number on mine but it does look stupid when I put the three together as volume 2 has the missing names.
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

Only Thunder Path has two extra scenes and none of the episodes have any missing scenesNo I haven't read Episode 40 yet in fact I never knew there was a 40th episode I wonder why it was never filmed(Edited by Adam at 9:37 am on Oct. 10, 2002)
Rachel

DVD Box Set

Post by Rachel »

I assume there was just the one documentary about Anderson, in 2000? The Terrahawks clips on the one I saw were mostly from Operation SAS, with the theme-tune accompanying them. THen it switched to the end of Ma's Monsters, with Cystar saying "I am going to have a baby." I was disappointed when the topic then moved from T'hawks to Gerry's real life at the time, as his new wife was also going to have a baby.I would have liked them to say a bit more about Terrahawks, but had to bear in mind it was a one-off programme covering the whole of GA's career. I'm familiar with the brilliant third Thawks episode on Volume 6, in which the bloke (the "expendable" driver later shot down by the cubes) advises Yungstar to take off his "mask" but strangely enough I don't recall any of that dialogue being on the documentary. Maybe I blinked and missed it!
AndyThomas

DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

As I am currently afflicted by the curse that is daytime TV, I should probably mentioned that Gerry appeared on the Les and Mel (I think it's called) show a couple of days ago, basically to promote the Joe 90 DVD release. He still looks pretty good for his age. When you stop and think about it he's something of an unsung hero because in a sense his really famous characters have eclipsed him in the popularity stakes despite the massive contribution he's made to the British TV industry over the years. He ought to be a Sir by now...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Rachel

DVD Box Set

Post by Rachel »

I suppose it's to be expected that the characters do eclipse the creator in popularity, with that sort of thing. For example, while most children may acknowledge the talent of Walt Disney himself, they are probably much more interested in the actual cartoons he produced.An ex-friend once told me that if you ever really wanted to annoy Dave (another friend), then insult Thunderbirds, especially Scott. I can't see that any of the Tracy family were anything to rave about; if they had acquired some adorable talking, rolling robots, it would be different! Did Lady Penelope have a similar personality to Mary Falconer? Mary is such a lovely, warm person, I think if I had been orphaned I would want to be adopted by her! I don't remember Lady P being quite so charming, although she was OK.
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

>>Thawks episode on Volume 6, in which the bloke (the "expendable" driver later shot down by the cubes) advises Yungstar to take off his "mask"<<The episode is "Zero's Finist Hour" and the man in that episode is called Harry.