DVD Box Set

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Rachel

DVD Box Set

Post by Rachel »

Have you noticed that on the front covers of the old video releases, only one of them is of a good guy (Zero, on Volume 6)? The designer obviously had a much stronger bias towards the bad guys; and it's funny that some of these are minor characters (Sram, Moid, and Lord Tempo), whilst the likes of Tiger, Kate and Mary were relegated to small photos on the backs of the video boxes!
AndyThomas

DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

Ahhhhhh. I think I may know what the stock issue is. The sleeve of my volume 3 isn't the same as yours, Tej. As I've mentioned, mine does have the 1:3 on the spine below the Zeroid, whereas yours doesn't. The back cover of mine is also slightly different , in that the Sleeve Design credit is present on mine but not on yours.So were I to hazard a guess, there's been a mistake with the release of volume 3 in that they've got the covers wrong for some of them. If that's the case, and if the individual volume 3s were affected, then they may have been recalled to have new covers put in them. That might explain why some places don't have stock even though the release date has passed.I notice that the URL situation is even worse just at the moment - I'm denied access to it, so even the holding page isn't displaying! If you consider that it was advertised as far back as the release of volume 1 you'd think they'd have at least put a link to other Terrahawks sites in the interim...?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

>>Have you noticed that on the front covers of the old video releases, only one of them is of a good guy (Zero, on Volume 6)? The designer obviously had a much stronger bias towards the bad guys; and it's funny that some of these are minor characters (Sram, Moid, and Lord Tempo), whilst the likes of Tiger, Kate and Mary were relegated to small photos on the backs of the video boxes!<< The only reason Zero is lucky enough to be on Volume 6 is just because his name is in the title, if they stuck to the "From Mars/of Mars" titles (Which they should have done) they would probably used The Sporilla or Yuri or even a Cube.I prefer the monsters on the front cover, which is annoying to me that the only monster on the new releases is Zelda.It's a shame they didn't use any more Mars titles for Volume 5 and 6, there are tones of names that could work"The Invaders from Mars""The Monsters from Mars""The Attacks from Mars""The Enemy from Mars""The Evil of Mars""The Power of Mars""The Horror of Mars""The Curse of Mars""The Fear of Mars"Also about the 1:3 missing business on the spine of my Volume 2 the names Gerry Anderson and Christopher Burr are missing, what about yours ?(Edited by Adam at 2:06 pm on Oct. 23, 2002)
Slacker

DVD Box Set

Post by Slacker »

Well I got my box set at HMV on Sunday so it is definately available in stores, although I did buy it from the one on Oxford Street where they seem to sell every DVD currently availble (no joke, their DVD department must cover around 100sq ft or more), they also have a big section for all the Transformers volumes and load sof the box sets.Would have bought it from Amazon but I didnt want to have to wait several weeks for it.Very impressed with the DVDs and with the series in general (been about 15 years since I last saw an episode), I love the comedy element to it (like the way Tiger always says "exacery" to Hiro). Its by far the best Gerry Anderson series he ever made, but one critisism is that the episodes seem to be over really quickly. Thunder Roar for example - how useless is Sram? He flies to earth, gets shot down, hides in a cave, makes it collapse then dies? They dig Tiger out and thats it, episode over.Still, roll on the next 2 series on DVD!
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

Don't show disrespect to Thunder-Roar, that's one of the best episodes of Terrahawks, this is as serious as Tony Barwick’s Terrahawks stories are ever going to get. As you all know I prefer the serious episodes.But I was disappointed that Ninestine survived, he should have been killed.....Well he is a clone and only one of the nine died in the whole series.
AndyThomas

DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

Quote Quote: from Adam on 7:47 am on Oct. 1, 2002[brAlso about the 1:3 missing business on the spine of my Volume 2 the names Gerry Anderson and Christopher Burr are missing, what about yours ?Yes, you're right, another "spot the difference" style thing there. They're back on my version of volume 3. As you say Adam, doesn't massively inspire confidence, does it? I'm also finding some of the episodes a bit... wobbly. That may just be the original filming of course.Oh, BTW, there are monsters on the box set's cover so they're not totally left out in the new releases! Oh, and Slacker, I suspect that in terms of episode length Terrahawks may be amongst the shortest Anderson shows, when you consider that Thunderbirds and possibly most of the others are a good 45 minutes per episode (although I think Thunderbirds was originally going to be shorter than that). As it was produced with London Weekend Television for a 30 minute slot with a break in the middle I suppose it's not that surprising. There are a few multi-part episodes of course. But the episodes do tend to go along the lines of "Get beastie to Earth, Thawks investigate beastie, blow beastie up, Zelda reclaims her own"!
Adam

DVD Box Set

Post by Adam »

>>Thunderbirds and possibly most of the others are a good 45 minutes per episode<<Thunderbirds episodes are 50 minutes (originally 25 minutes)Four Feather Falls episodes are 15 minutes,Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, The Secret Service and Terrahawks episodes are 25 minutes.There were no commercial breaks in between any Terrahawks episodes, not when they were transmitted early in the morning.Multi-Part episodes? Every episode except Expect the Unexpected were all one part episodes but Two for the Price of One was the sequel to Ma's Monsters so they're also exceptions in a way.
AndyThomas

DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

Hmm. I must be getting it muddled up with another series - possibly GI Joe now that I think about it! I've been looking at a lot of episode guides of late! I'd assumed there was an ad break because there always seems to be a point halfway through an episode where one would be stuck in, ususally preceded by some cackling from Zelda...! Right, and now for a quick test...Quote This is quoted textQuote This is some more