Is it nearly over?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

Amen to that! Sounds like a plan.I've just been drawing on a venue so that we can get together, sit down and have good natter.Anyway - name a date, time and place and I'll be happy to bunk off Uni to get there.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Happosai

Is it nearly over?

Post by Happosai »

Well, there was talk of holding it around a sci-fi/collectors fair...I see that there's one in Earls Court in London on the last weekend of November, but I wouldn't be able to make that, as I'll be travelling up to Edinburgh with work then (normally, I'd be travelling down to London, but we've changed venues this year...).Anyone know of anything else similar going on in the next few months?[Happosai]
Darthdc

Is it nearly over?

Post by Darthdc »

I usually go to the Memorabilia shows at the NEC as they are local. London is too far and too expensive. I have suggested on the shows website for SFXB related guests but its likely to be ignored. Garrick Hagen is about the only SFXB guest ever to attend (along with wife Liza Ross) but his connection to SFXB is never mentioned. I just can't believe how nobody remembers the show, despite the huge popularity it enjoyed in the 80s.
May the Force be with you!
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

I met Zordon/Dave at the NEC. London is a wee bit far from My Uni, or home for that matter.I don't think it's just us - I think a lot of influential sci-fis like Bab5 look have had a major drop in interest. Star Trek feels the same, Gundam as well (even 00 to an extent).Maybe the novelty of forums about awesome shows have worn off a little, I dunno.
Son Of Chronos

Is it nearly over?

Post by Son Of Chronos »

I haven't got a clue how StarFleet went under the sun either, I mentioned it in another thread, but anyone I ask even the same age as me have not got a clue to what Im talking about, but if I mention thundercats or thunderbirds everyone remembers them.Thing with Star Trek is even after DS9 etc finsihed it carried on with movies and erm another TV show, Bab5 just stopped altogether, their was that short lived crusade thing but that was it, Im not surprised its kind of fallen of the map.I mean Bab5 fans are in the same boat as us StarFleet fans, everything is out and done with, theirs nothing to talk about further, its been discussed for what almost 10 years now.All SF got left is that rumoured soundtrack and thats it.Gundam and mecha stuff itself has never been popular in the west, it will always be huge in Japan.

Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

Well, what I'm talking about really is the kinda internet buzz that's just disappeared.Now everyone and their dog is online, dicking on with Twitter and visiting compare-the-frickin-meerkat.com.Back in the day the sole purpose of the internet was to tell people how great Star Trek TNG was! That was all it was for! That was how it became so big apart from the fact that it was an awesome series.We had a similar thing with Gundam SEED a while back, when torrenting was new and people could download it for free and it was something totally new and a totally different way of watching sci-fi; both in terms of it being watched on PC and in terms of the sheer speed, complexity and action in the animation. Now everyone's done it, Now we've seen Macross F and Appleseed 2 and Ghost in the Shell and - and it's normal. That's what we expect.Now the internet has become like the car that you bought a while back just to realise that everyone has the same car in the same colour.That's why the appeal has gone. Any exclusivity has gone right out of the window.I had a bit of an ask around and apparently input on pretty much all sci-fi etc related forums has kinda had a nosedive, also partly because - at the moment there are no sci-fi series... plenty of movies. It's far easier to be a fan of a series than a movie because there's more to get your teeth into.The last one we had was Galactica and it was limited in the sense that it was 1 ship, 1 species, no diversity of alien cultures, practically no diversity in spacecraft, or in plot for that matter ... It was hard to get totally immersed in for any great length of time.When we A) get another long-running space opera series like DS9 or B5, to which everyone has ready normal TV access...and B) when people stop using the Internet for Facebook and tax returns and crap like that and start using it for what it was meant for like downloading Gundam in 1080p...We'll be a darn side better off!
Son Of Chronos

Is it nearly over?

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Ah I see your point.Well imo TV has become obsolete thanks to the internet, whether its through youtube streaming sites etc or torrents and facebook, it has effectivly killed off TV.You ask any young kids in your family and I can tell you they hardly watch TV and are actually DL the latest fansubs of Bleach and Naruto etc, rather than wait for it to show up on TV.In Narutos case its quite funny because it used to be a very niche show and then torrents came out for it and it exploded, some of the old fans hate that fact and say it ruined the show.I dont watch any of it so cant say.Anyway more back to your point, I think things like myspace,facebook, twitter are just things people jump on when its the latest thing, i mean who still uses Live Journal? lol yeah thats right no one.People are all over Twitter right now, but soon as the next big thing comes out they will jump ship again.Forums in a way have become the new email, you know how anyone hardly uses emails anymore, thats how forums have become, people would rather chat on facebook, and if you check the latest forums out there they have the same features as facebook now where you can have your own friend list and more, its a desperate attempt to hold onto its members.I hardly next to none visit and certainly not log into half the forums i joined over the years anymore, so i can see why its having a nose dive. I never got into Galactica either watched some of the first season but wasnt feeling it.As for a new long running sci fi show, i dont see it happening Galactica ran for 4 seasons, thats quite an achievement for current TV standards, DS9 ran for 7 seasons, theirs no way a sci fi show in todays TV would last that long, SG-1 was the last sci-fi to have such a long period of time, you wont see that again.Plus you have the problem is their anybody out there with the skills to bring something new to the table, and would the TV studios back them? probably not on both.You know your name looks familiar thinking about it, did you used to post on mechatalk by any chance?I only see things for TV getting much worse, now you can watch and twitter on your phones, and why wait months for a show to appear on TV here when you can torrent it, we are shifting into the digital era, even something like DVD's are not as relevant as they were, blu ray will probably be the the last hard format people use, before everything goes digital.

Shane

Is it nearly over?

Post by Shane »

I think Crash raises a good point about exclusivity. Pre- Internet if you wanted a Star Fleet fix you had to be lucky enough to find the 80s compilation tapes second hand at carboot sales. I got mine in 1995 by sheer luck. At the time though, it felt like I unearthed a piece of long lost archive television and anyone I knew that had the slightest idea of what Star Fleet was were in awe of those tapes.Getting on the Internet in the late 90s one of my first searches was for Star Fleet and led to finding Andy's site and the older version of this forum. There was still plenty of unknown facts regarding Star Fleet and X Bomber at this time and these blanks were filled in over the years by various members of the forum who got hold of pieces of memorabilia.The current state of Star Fleet fandom with the official DVDs out and most of the fans who watched the show in 1982 now in their mid 30s means that this forum will never be the hive of activity it was in the early 00s. Crash also raises another good point regarding facebook which is making many forums obsolete as people are more fond of using it. (It's got a lot of long-time non computer users onto the Internet) Incidentally, you can even join a Star Fleet group on facebook and some people have posted on there that have never set foot onto this forum.You could even look at facebook as the 'Norms' taking away the exclusivity of the Internet itself from the 'Nerds' if I were to peddle broad stereotypes.It's a disposable time we live in, nearly anything you want is just a click away and this has certainly devalued the content.As for TV science fiction - It seems to come in waves, there was a time in the late 70s early 80s where there was a ton of the stuff then after that, for many years, very little, until the mid to late 90s. Television itself is devalued now though and most people will download the show or buy the DVD than try to watch something with an ad break every 10 mins. For instance - Family Guy gets pretty decent ratings on US television but the show still exists because it sells phenomenally on DVD.PSI never unerstood the fuss over new Galactica either.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

Well I'm sure you're right but, I still feel like even though I've got all my favourite shows on hard disks, I still value them just as much. It's just that I also kinda ... expect more of them to come along. It's more like a shortage than a saturation.You need to watch Galactica all the way through. Then you'll see.I think most people would agree that it gets better and better towards the end.Lots of season 1 and 2 episodes are weak on their own but the start of season 3 etc are really quite something.
Shane

Is it nearly over?

Post by Shane »

Yeah, to be fair Galactica seems like something you need to stick at, I've seen a couple of episodes here and there. It took me a while to get into B5 but then I loved it. You really do need to watch every episode of that to get the full story.Oh there's still good shows out there and I have my faves too. But there is a saturation of mediocrity within tv and film and most certianly in music. I find myself looking back to old shows that were made before I was born, when more risks were taken.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!