Is it nearly over?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

I think that's absolutely right. I was lucky to have watched it that way first time. Downloading really suits series like that because you can set the priority so you can watch them one or two episodes per day in the right order.You're absolutely right about the lack of risk-taking. Lots of programmes that are just mildly interesting to the masses, like reality TV, rather than acutely amazing to us, the tasteful minority.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Son Of Chronos

Is it nearly over?

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Well guys the CD has been out for awhile now, like Cell from DBZ I think we as fans are complete.As Zordon OG post said where do we go from here, is it over? Id have to say yes.The only other offical thing that could happen is a Blu Ray release, which is not really needed as I dont see them improving the quailty of the video anyway.Also a Perfect Grade Dai-x figure, which would perhaps only appeal to so many people just like the CD.Those are the only offical things that could happen and really as much as wouldnt mind a PG Dai-x I can live without it.So that just leaves fan projects.The only thing activley still going is Crashes game, and when that is done, then their really aint nothing left.I feel like we are the last remnants of Star Fleet Fandom, a dying race left in cold outer space only to be remebered by ourselfs.Although considering we have been around for 20 years and around 10 years on the net its quite something to be proud of, alot of other shows and fan sites have bitten the dust in the 00's.Its been fun, I hope Andy continues with the website atleast for a few more years yet even if the forums die off.

Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

That's probably right. I'd be sad for this place to ever close. I think another thing that we've managed, in addition to the obvious: the DVDs, the CD release etc, is just a really nice quiet forum with no agro or rubbish. Personally I find the idea of "we are the last remnants of Star Fleet Fandom, a dying race left in cold outer space only to be remebered by ourselfs". quite appealing in an odd way.Maybe we should branch the forum out to related things that we love, like Babylon5 and sci-fi fangames / mods - now that's a big community - and something that people are working in constantly and gives lots of material to talk about.As far as my game I've been getting about 6 hours sleep between programming sprees. The re-organisation and changes I'm doing behind the scenes are pretty massive and I think the improvements show.All I need is some people with GPUs to test the game out. That would save me quite a lot of time. All I can say is: Crash's game doesn't seem to crash (well I haven't been able to make crash in ages).If ever Andy feels the need to let the site go - I'd be happy to host it provided that was what people wanted, so that his efforts don't just vanish from the net. That goes for everyone else too, if they've got anything to host. Only problem is - it's not really my space atm and I can't give out FTP accounts. Once I finish the game, you know I'll find something else to do. Maybe something better.
Zordon

Is it nearly over?

Post by Zordon »

Well with Power Rangers ending last Saturday that's 18 years of my life wasted. I'm thinking of giving full control of my UKR site to my mate Mark as I’ll be too busy to do conventions and cosplays due to the baby coming next may (well 5 months from now) So I'd like to get back into the star fleet side of things. No Sites just content i can cook up.So I'd like to try something.A fan site where we feature fan made content (sound familiar?)Crash has some good ideas games wise, I can cook up a good few fan fictions.I’m a good sculptor and artist. So I'd like to bring back SFP in some form over the next year. Heck we're nearing the 30th anniversary in a few years.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Shane

Is it nearly over?

Post by Shane »

I really wish they would make some kind of new Dai X model kit or a remold of the Dengeki Gashin Blitzkrieg Combination. (That's the only thing I regret selling now)My fave mecha is the Mospeada ride armour and I had one of the original Henshin Robo versions from the mid 80s when I was a kid. This year no less than 4 different companies have released new versions of the ride armour 25 years after the original release. So I live in hope of a new version of the Dai X one day.But yeah, in terms of SF fandom it's been the perfect year that ends a decade of SF Internet fandom. In 2001 a DVD release was a dream and a soundtrack release was an idea of sheer fantasy, but low and behold we got'em.Crash's game is pretty much the only SF related project on the radar at the moment and as mentioned before a lot of us are grown ups now (sort of) and have families or other responsibilities. I'll continue to visit the forum, because quite frankly it only takes a few seconds to click on a link and have a quick looksy.If I have time next year I may even consolidate all of my remaining Revenge of Makara material and present it in a mini novel format just to lay it to rest once and for all. Fan fiction seems to be the quickest and easiest method to continue the SF mythos.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

Let's write to Enoki films and ask them to send the Dai-X plans to Bandai.I'm sure they'd have a LOT of interest. Especially if it transformed. (The 1/100 Impulse Gundam does the same thing).PS.: No way I'm writing to them. Not sure they'd be too glad to hear from me, lol. But seriously someone needs to do it!Happy New Year men!!!
Bradster

Is it nearly over?

Post by Bradster »

For what it's worth, I'd also be happy to host Andy's material if he decides to take the site down, but I really doubt he'd do something drastic like that any time soon, and I'm sure he'd let us all know beforehand. In the area of "fan content", I've twice on my own tried making a Star Fleet wiki using MediaWiki (the engine Wikipedia uses), but I've never given myself enough time to really "finish" it enough to go public. It's one of those many projects that I'd tinker with for a weekend and a few days and then forget about it for months on end. MediaWiki isn't really designed for hosting image galleries. It can do it, but it doesn't do it particularly well.I've played with a few free PHP galleries and I liked the general feel of Plogger. It's not super-saturated with features, but that's kind of what attracted me to it. Here's a small demo gallery I tried with some of my pictures. Unfortunately, Plogger doesn't seem to be very actively supported/developed; so, its longevity is questionable. Coppermine is another PHP-based gallery that's far more popular and actively developed. Tons of sites use it, and I'd tried it out for a bit, but I can't recall why I decided not to keep it...Anyhow, I guess all I'm really saying here is that we've got plenty of options should someone here want to build a fresh community-driven site/gallery.Like Shane and his Revenge of Makara manga, I have some SF projects I just need to finish and "get out there". I'm not a fan of making New Year's resolutions, but this sounds like as good a reason as any to try to commit to finishing something.edit: Whoops... got the threads crossed in my brain as I was typing up this post. That whole thing about the image galleries came from the "2010 new site" discussion. Sorry for any confusion there...

Dr. Ben

Is it nearly over?

Post by Dr. Ben »

Wow. Very nice Bradster. Anyway to get my own two cents in, I think the series is no more dead than any other say Thunderbirds or Babylon 5. There's plenty of room for fan projects like Genesis and others.SF still rules.

Son Of Chronos

Is it nearly over?

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Well guys I can clearly see 2010 will have alot of SF fan projects going for it, thats great to hear, Im going to make an effort this year to do something as well, Im more of a doer than sayer, too often people take on big fan projects that they just dont have the time for and often forget or lose interest in doing, Ive noticed that on here through the years of lurking, not picking on anyone, Ive done it before with other things.As I said its the case of taking something on you can manage but at the same time challenge yourself, as I said, I have ideas but untill I have something concrete Im just going to keep it to myself.Oh and Dr Ben SF will always rule, plus its much better than Thunderbirds could ever be And wow its the 5th of jan already, even so happy late new year to you all.