Vid of Interest

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Vid of Interest

Post by Crash »

That's how I figured it. The presenter is terrible but even worse is that jumper.I emailed El Hombre who uploaded it - will let u know if anything emerges. Even if he doesn't know a lick of English there's always Google Translate (which is actually surprisingly good as it knows all the idioms from its search results).
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Vid of Interest

Post by Shane »

(Zordon @ Jan. 16 2010,20:35)QUOTE
(Shane @ Jan. 15 2010,22:40)QUOTEIt would be nice to know what they were talking about, but its a great little archive TV find at any rate. Love the adverts too. Don't know if the guy in the hat is Go Nagi or not, but it was weird seeming him on the screen after having pictures of him (courtesy of Gareth) on Big Dai X for years now.Yeah, that band's sound was out of date even in 1980.the little guty is go nagi and the taller guy is either Kimio IkedaGreat stuff!It makes perfect sense thinking about it.I'll say again - A lovely little find.Tha video is going on a disc of it's own!

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Dr. Ben

Vid of Interest

Post by Dr. Ben »

Watching the clips it's small wonder that SF was a failure in Japan. The music was horrible and the voice actors inferior. Of course I am a little biased ;)
Bradster

Vid of Interest

Post by Bradster »

I was thinking the same thing, actually. The sound effects were weak or missing in some parts, too. Surely those had to be from in-production edits and not the final version of the show, right? Granted, I haven't seen the Japanese release, but it just couldn't be that bad...Anyone here have the Japanese DVDs to confirm or deny?
Shane

Vid of Interest

Post by Shane »

Those are the final sound effects used in the show, but they are perfectly in sync on the DVDs.I've always thought the music was complete tosh; it just doesn't convey outerspace adventure to me.I think I had a discussion with Crash that X Bomber might suit purists of Japanese anime or sentai shows more, as strictly speaking, the music and sound effects are in keeping with these types of shows. Think, Go Ranger or Gatchaman (Although Gatchman's music is incredible).I think the UK production team did wonders with the original Japanese footage.

Crash

Vid of Interest

Post by Crash »

I would say from watching the Japanese ver. that the sound effects for weapons fire were broadly unchanged but, where they were changed (for example X-Bomber turret guns), the Japanese originals were better. The music's not as bad as people say, it's quite good in places and the picture quality is light-years ahead of the UK version.  You can really see all the details.  Once I'm a bit more finished with my game I'm going to use an automatic screengabber to generate loads of captures and upload em.On a related note - if anyone can and is willing - I could really use some help on the sound effects side of my game. Most of it is me hacking into commercial games and stealing theirs. So if you have any sound effects from the show (especially in wave format that you could zip) then that would be awesome.At the moment I built a huge Alien battleship yesterday and am starting work on another giant transforming robot... although it looks like it might be touch-and-go getting it to work.

Shane

Vid of Interest

Post by Shane »

The Imperial ships laser sounds are certainly different. From a ringing tone in X Bomber to the white noise sound in Star Fleet.I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the UK production company started completely from scratch when it came to the audio. New voice work, new music and new sound effects.They ruined the image quality of the original during the conversion process though. As Crash states - The picture quality of the X Bomber DVDs are very good.
Crash

Vid of Interest

Post by Crash »

That's what I read too but I was surprised how much was very similar.I mean they certainly played on with the effects but I think it was a slight exaggeration, perhaps on Lew Grade's part to say that they started over with the effects completely. After all they did basically bin the script, re-record the dialogue and do all the new music in addition so what he says is about right.I leave you with an image: http://www.xbomber.co.uk/iv....all.pngThe exciting thing is that the two layers (of 4 arms each) can counter-rotate independent of eachother and each arm is made of two individually destructible segments that are anchored to the mid-point by position and rotation.I'm gonna introduce a variance to make the arms wave slightly so that they're not always spaced 90' apart to make it look less like one solid object.
FZeroOne

Vid of Interest

Post by FZeroOne »

That is... just... well, words fail me... special. Thanks, Crash Override, for finding that!I note that it seems Bryan Mays hair was interested in X-Bomber before the man himself, going by the last couple of minutes!Even more adorable are the 80s Japanese TV ads...

"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Bradster

Vid of Interest

Post by Bradster »

(Shane @ Jan. 17 2010,11:06)QUOTEThey ruined the image quality of the original during the conversion process though. As Crash states - The picture quality of the X Bomber DVDs are very good.Yeah, on top of the inconsistent color and fuzzy and sometimes warbly transfers, my absolute biggest complaint about the UK Star Fleet DVDs is that it is really badly telecined. Every deinterlacing and inverse telecining technique I've tried results in ghosting wherever there's big movements on screen. It's literally impossible to get rid of it all. I do have a good friend who got a set of the Japanese DVDs on eBay a couple months ago, though, and I have this particular project planned in which I'll rip the video from his DVDs and try to splice it together with the audio from my UK DVDs, trimming the video for the UK edit where necessary. The best of both worlds! Of course, only my friend and I would reap the benefits of such a project, as I wouldn't exactly be redistributing the Frankenstein video... but it would be the ultimate Star Fleet viewing experience.