Imperial Fighter Variants

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I've been revisiting my 3D models and reference screenshots recently and I remembered that I had wanted to mention a potential addendum to the Mecha section of the SFXB website.On this page:http://www.sfxb.co.uk/mecha/imperialships.html QUOTEThe only variation to the standard design of the fighters is Captain Carter's fighter which he uses in his duel with Shiro in BrainCom.Almost! There are actually two variations on the standard design of the Imperial Alliance fighters. There's the armored Captain Carter variant, but there's also an armored "plunger" variant. Here's a collage of screenshots that illustrate its key features.This fighter variant is piloted by Crewman 0171, the "defector", in episode 12. I'm not sure whether or not it's used in any other episodes; I haven't checked recently.Compare to the standard issue Imperial fighter:I've also created a 3D model for this variant, of course. ;)Cheers,Brad
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Hmm! It looks like the post editing time limit has been shortened recently. I was going to edit that last post and replace the last 3D image with the following one because the one above was using an out-of-date disproportioned (too wide, mostly) model.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yes! This features in the last episode and... maybe another one late in the series. I'm sure I mentioned this thing before. That is a cracking model you made, though. I'd love to use it for reference for my game (if I can rescue it). Captain Carter's ship is really quite far divorced from the original astrofighter but it moves so fast and the picture quality is so low that the exact details are a really difficult to make out. It definitely has the same engine pods on top of the machine above though.I sprited a black and green version (as best I could) for level 1 of my game tho'.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(Crash Override @ Jul. 17 2007,00:07)QUOTEYes! This features in the last episode and... maybe another one late in the series.  I'm sure I mentioned this thing before. [...] Captain Carter's ship is really quite far divorced from the original astrofighter but it moves so fast and the picture quality is so low that the exact details are a really difficult to make out. It definitely has the same engine pods on top of the machine above though.Aye, Captain Carter's fighter it definitely the most difficult to see! I grabbed a number of screenshots, though, and from them have tried to come up with my best approximation.(I'll create another collage of screenshots from the show and post it later, too)I'm still generally unsatisfied with the shape of my nose armor, but it's good enough, I suppose.Captain Carter's fighter variant has an extra pod of some sort in the middle-rear area extended beneath the body on a rod. The front nose is covered in a four-way-split armored extension and the upper front section has some rust-colored tubes and bars covering it. I don't recall seeing any side-mounted panels/engines like the "plunger" style fighter has, though.
(Crash Override @ Jul. 17 2007,00:07)QUOTEThat is a cracking model you made, though. I'd love to use it for reference for my game (if I can rescue it).Thanks! I'd be happy to share more pictures of my models if you'd like to use them. Just let me know what you need.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

As promised, here is a collage of screenshots of Captain Carter's fighter variant:
Shane

Post by Shane »

Wow! Haven't been around here for a while, but have to say, those are a lovely couple of Imperial fighter models Bradster!I like the NERF one the best, that would have made a fantastic toy!
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yeah, you should definitely put your site back up, somewhere that requires little maintenance so it doesn't vanish if you forget to pay upkeep, like deviantart or somewhere...With all those models it was an amazing looking place - and it's clear you're still working on them to produce renders as good as those.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I upped a ton of screenshots of carter's astrofighter to the coppermine - incase anyone's interested.http://xbomber.co.uk/xarchive/thumbnail ... =5&page=1I got watching the DVDs of Space Above and Beyond as well, which is a tremendous series and even better in proper quality (although it does show up the plainness of the CGI ships).I screenshotted all the different types of ship that appear in the last few episodes.http://www.xbomber.co.uk/iv....20ShipsThere are some neat designs in there.