X-Bomber Revival!!!

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
AndyThomas

X-Bomber Revival!!!

Post by AndyThomas »

I did enquire, but apparently it isn't doable on this host. I'll ask them again... Incidentally, just added a background to the site. Comments? Link for the game site also coming...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

X-Bomber Revival!!!

Post by Crash »

Right! Does your Control Panel for your hosting plan / website (CPanel etc.) have a backup feature that backs up both all files and databases?If so, then if they refuse to install ImageMagick threaten to switch hosting to somewhere else. It's a free program for them to use and install after all. I mean there's no way they can refuse to install it because no commercial image gallery or content management system that handles images professionally will be able to function fully and properly without it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that your hosting was based in Newcastle. I'm from very near there (when I'm not at University or practicing my German). All the people there are a bit like the fat guy from the Natwest advert. "It doesn't work like that". So if they give you any of that BS then just tell them you're leaving at the end of your contract. There are good webhosts out there, it's just a question of finding them.You've changed this backdrop of yours again haven't you? It was darker yesterday. I'm sure it was a very striking blue at the top. It looks very nice right how it is.It's a fine looking website and the navigation is absolutely excellent. What I might have done... would be to make the side context menu that appears a little bit bigger, just move the font size up one so that it looks more like a menu and less like content. Sometimes when I'm several layers into the site (ie. the Manga Max article) I have to have a bit of a think about where I am. But that is the only thing. That's just criticism for criticism's sake really. It's already great the way it is.I think it looks really smart and that background just sets off all you did a few months ago. It's a nice light website. Usually I like dark, technical colours. My Windows theme is a smokey gloss black with gold writing but I've got very used to this site - it looks lovely.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

X-Bomber Revival!!!

Post by AndyThomas »

Ironically the navigation menu has become an issue because it's so damn tall sometimes, so I've trimmed some of them. I think there are enough links around to let the user go up a level easily enough anyway, so it looks a little "quieter" now. I could make the font a bit bigger, but it might make text flow over two lines. I see what you mean about it sharing its style with the content, although the links obviously react differently. Hmmmm.I had a look at your site but I couldnt' see the icons you use for links to the site - could you forward them to me, and whatever code you'd like me to use to link across? Would actually be useful to add some more bulk to the bottom of my pages having added the background! Thanks. I'm pursuing the ImageMagick issue - the hosting is actually in the US of A!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

X-Bomber Revival!!!

Post by Crash »

Oh, my mistake. I'm not sure where I got that idea from. Coulda been the domain name registrar. I remember messing around with Whois when I registered my domain.On that note I actually looked to see where mine is. http://www.krystal.co.uk/datacentre/A new banner has been produced! Yes in the absence of the old ones I thought I'd make a different one. it is here: http://www.xbomber.co.uk/images/banner.gifAny code you wanna use it up to you - (as long as it's HTML 4.01 compliant - otherwise you know those geeks at W3C'll hunt you down and kill you eventually). I'm not finished with the links on mine, don't worry - I'll try and get it sorted tonight. I did make a 88x31 icon for SFXB. Doesn't look too bad but probably works better on white background.
Dream big and bold and daring.