X-Bomber v0.37

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Dr. Ben

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Dr. Ben »

Well my friend I finally got to play.I just got a PC for the first time and I can't stop playing. You did a great job greatig a game that not only captures the Star Fleet spirit, but also rocks on it's own in it's genre.My hat is off to you.
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Hah! someone actually posted!How did that get under my radar? Ahh it's from today - that's cool.How are you doing buddy? The game runs a bit slow in parts - but that should be fixed soon with hardware acceleration in the new version.It is quite addictive though. Stopping from 'playtesting' is my problem.Your audio drama was amazing.We need to draw some more people into here to take a look at our legend work.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Dr. Ben

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Dr. Ben »

Wow somebody actually listened? I haven't heard a thing since it was first posted.It is addictive. I wish I had more time.
Smartie

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Smartie »

Very good - I download this version yesterday.
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Hey that's more than kind of you to say!I'm having a hell of a difficult time abroad in Germany at the moment until June. I simply haven't had a moment to look at the game or even play it myself. Once I get my holidays I'll finish and release the new version of the game.I'm also waiting for a new product to be released that allows me to use a computer's graphics card to improve the game's overall performance. That seems to be a long way off however.I really can't apologise enough for not achieving what I set out to do with X-Bomber and having basically had to stall its development for a good few months but hopefully I'll be able to bring it back to life again soon. I really am very sorry, but I haven't given up at the same time.
Shadow Jedi

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Shadow Jedi »

Greetings, got to say I LOVE this game! I've been playing the older version for some time now due to my PC being somewhat antiquated but I have just downloaded the new one with fingers crossed. I'll let you know how I get on.This game ROCKS!!!
"Where do I go to now that I've gone too far?"
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Thank you very much!We were having a bonfire here and we brought a notebook outside and people wanted to see X-Bomber and were fairly amazed by it.I've been playing the new level for the first time in ages today and it was great fun. If it were a commercial game it woulda been released already but I've no financial incentive for pushing it out the door before it's ready.I've been tying up a few loose ends with it today (pushed on by your message) and trying to bring my material into some sort of order as well. Once I get home in < 3 weeks the taps will open again on X-Bomber's development.Where Clickteam's finished implementation for DirectX9 is I just don't know but the game should run pretty smoothly on any dual-core machine.
Bradster

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Bradster »

I finally got ahold of a Windows VM and gave your X-Bomber game a try recently. Pretty good stuff, Crash!
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Haha wow! Emulated Windows huh? I honestly can't say how it woulda performed under that.To the right of the score is the frames-per-second counter (in smaller characters). As long as it's around 50 it's doing what it should.
Bradster

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Bradster »

Modern virtual machines aren't emulated in the traditional sense, though. They act as a pass-through layer to allow code to be executed natively where possible. AMD's and Intel's latest chips even have special components designed specifically for virtualization. So, while there is a small performance hit, it's practically negligible. It's gotten so good that many full-scale web servers actually run in VMs! At the software company where I work, we have about a dozen production servers that are purely virtual machines. The web site that I manage independently in my spare time also runs in a VM.As for X-Bomber? It almost never drops below 50 fps.   Here's looking forward to future releases!