How to Proceed ... ?

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Crash

How to Proceed ... ?

Post by Crash »

I would welcome some feedback as to how to approach X-Bomber's next release.I have received (and have been playing on with) the beta version of hardware acceleration software that I need for X-Bomber and although it works great and is reliable it is still a little rough around the edges visually.For example: as it stands the game cannot be played in full-screen mode and certain ink effects such as the "warm-up" OR effect that make weapons, in-game instruments and certain other objects glow and "add" to the background is unavailable. Certain types of objects such as status bars and backgrounds cannot have any effects applied as yet.With some major work the game can be made to mitigate some of these restrictions and can then be released. Most differences would be hard to notice.Would you rather see a release sooner or would you rather wait a little longer and see a more finished release (perhaps in 6-8 months) once finished hardware acceleration is available, (which will mean not having to take X-Bomber apart to work around faults and then correcting it so I could hammer-on with another mission).It's up to you guys anyway 'cos I'm not too sure myself. Since it won't let me make a vote I'll have to keep a five-bar gate on paper.
Dream big and bold and daring.
felice

How to Proceed ... ?

Post by felice »

Wait for the finished hardware acceleration. It would be a waste to put a lot of effort into working around beta limitations that are only going to be around for a few months.
Bradster

How to Proceed ... ?

Post by Bradster »

Yeah, I've got to second felice's suggestion of waiting until the SDK's acceleration features mature and stabilize. No sense in rewriting code now especially if there's a chance that you may have to rewrite it again once the kit is out of beta.
Crash

How to Proceed ... ?

Post by Crash »

I think you're right. I've been looking forward to what I've got planned for level 6. It's going to be all about the "FG device" from the show.I've got a few things to tidy up before going any further but that should take a week I would think.Thanks very much for the input, after some thought I do agree that there's no point releasing something based on unfinished technology. Hopefully it won't take long for the people writing it to get all their ducks in a row.
Dream big and bold and daring.