Emergency

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Crash

Emergency

Post by Crash »

Hey guys, I've removed the email as apparently Enoki and co have had enough emails asking them what they're playing at.Thanks for the covering fire. Time to wait and see what happens this week. Fingers crossed

Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Emergency

Post by Shane »

That sucks man!!!Y'know I have been thinking about this type of thing for a while now - Star Fleet/X Bomber has spent decades in obscurity, and the Internet fan-site aspect has been around for one of those decades - And arguably keeping the interest level high enough for any kind of release at all to be possible fellas - but all our sites deal with copy-right material in some way. I guess the game is a different kettle of fish, but for god's sake, it is freeware!Hey, it's their call, I just don't happen to think it's a very good one!!!At this point, it's probably worth mentioning that I'm not updating Big Dai X anymore, what's there is there, there is no more.Crash - As it's on your server, I wondered if you'd like to be custodian of the website? As I've said - I've done all the work I can on the site now, and much of it seems like it was a lifetime ago now. I have so many commitments at the moment, I don't even give the site a second thought nowadays. It would be good for someone to look after the material, who has a love for it all still.Again Crash, I can only commiserate, you've worked so hard on the game, and I hope you still finish it for yourself, if no one else.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Emergency

Post by Crash »

I'm not stopping writing my game for the likes of them.I'll distribute each copy on 20-odd floppy discs or on 60 miles paper tape if I have to.This basically shows what kind of sharks are responsible for releasing the show. I've sent them quite an email in response which is to be found on xbomber.co.ukI would simply implore everyone to start writing: emails, letters anything. I'm begging you all to help save this project if you're interested in seeing the next version (which is absolutely amazing by the way).I'll look after your site for you until the end of me or the end of time, whichever comes first.If I have to host it on a box in my own home I shall.

Shane

Emergency

Post by Shane »

Good for you man, that's the spirit!And thank you for taking on the site, you're free to do what you want with it, including shutting it down if the rights holders extend their litigious ways to the other fan sites.Unfortunately this does happen quite often when a cult series that has only survived through fan intervention finally receives a release. Good will goes out the window and money starts to talk, although granted FF only seemed to be passing on a message, but it's quite bizarre really, you'd think they would want to make a game of this type work for them as a marketing tool - and a free one at that! And why is Go Nagi so pissed? Hey Crash, least you can say you outraged a legend.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Emergency

Post by Crash »

Yeah that's true - I wonder why he didn't like the game - maybe that wasn't the problem. I might well find out as I imagine my email will prompt a response.At the end of the day they can't get any money out of me as I haven't made any from X-Bomber The Game and also because they have absolutely no idea where to find me.I honestly wonder whether this might work as a publicity boost for the game.It's a pity that the forum whose moderator provides my gigs and gigs of hosting is locked - the response to this matter has been brilliant.It really has been awesome. I might copy it across.

AndyThomas

Emergency

Post by AndyThomas »

FF are apparently under some pressure to be seen to be stamping on unofficial elements of the series - some of my YouTube videos were nuked in their first pass until I let them know. But from a strictly copyright point of view, the name of the game aside, much of it is Crash's own original work. Given the involvement I have with FF, I will also be getting in touch to try and establish the background to this. As Shane notes, there is every chance that SFXB could get trodden on at some point, but as Shane says, it's our sites that have kept the memory alive. At the end of the day, the game is out there already and the site being down isn't going to change that. I suspect there's been a misunderstanding somewhere as to the nature of the game....
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Emergency

Post by Crash »

Andy is right - the game is freely available on over a hundred download sites across the world. I doubt they'll send them cease and desist letters / takedown requests. That wouldn't look good for them either.PS.: Our Alexa Ranking just jumped over 200,000 places in less than a day over this.Update: I took down these emails - I think our little letter-write has made them sit-up and take notice.Time to kick-back, relax and see what happens.Thanks very much guys!

Crash

Emergency

Post by Crash »

Well - Enoki and Fab Films were supposed to have had a meeting this week where they were gonna discuss X-Bomber the Game. Haven't heard anything more from them in two weeks so hopefully the coast is clear. Either that or they're trying to coax my name and address from my internet service provider. (Good luck to them - it'll certainly cost them a lot of money)All I heard (and this was from Andy) was that all the emails people wrote to them had really had some sort of an effect. Probably the right sort of effect if they were irritated enough to email Fab Films and ask them to put a stop to it.It's weird that Fab Films aren't talking to me at all... I mean it's my site they're proposing to take down. Strange situation.
Zordon

Emergency

Post by Zordon »

that sucks dude, your games and andy's site is what makes star fleet for us. if enoki had any sense they would realise that for the last 20 something years they have say on thier butts and let us do all the hard work now they have a licenced release there going about it like disney do with power rangers.they nuke us but don't realise thet they only hurt themselves with a loss of the fan base.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Emergency

Post by Crash »

That is exactly what I think.That is very kind of you to say. It's cool, unless something very unforseen happens, like a missile hitting the datacentre, that site is not going down anytime soon.EDIT: Well that's nearly a month since I heard from them direct.Here's hoping it's all gone away.