Considering writing an article on Sci-Fi captains

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Crash

Post by Crash »

Any suggestions?At the moment, I think I'll write-up the Star Trek ones, briefly; Dylan from Andromeda (I've taken quite a shine to him because he's *almost* the perfect starship captain, tantalisingly and irritatingly close infact); Bridger from SeaQuest; Reynolds from Firefly and Sinclair and Sheridan from B5.Have I missed any?It's just that you see so many comparatives about weapons and ships (which are clearly the most interesting yet overdone).At the moment I'm into Andromeda Season4 (which has much greater CGI than before) but my desktop driving my big LCD is ... um on its last legs for sure.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Interesting post, it got me thinking...I must admit I'm not really up to date with the latest Sci-fi fare. I haven't heard of any of those Captains of which you mention.When I hear Star Trek Captains mentioned, I think of Kirk, Picard or Janeway.Maybe you could do an article comparing Captain Halley, Captain Orion and Captain Carter?Am I the only one to remember Captain Zep?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Well, we don't see enough of the StarFleet (X-Bomber) captains. perhaps I should stick Dr Benn in the article though.He's about the only one you could say enough about and he's a great character.- Seaquest is pretty old but its first season is excellent - really classy. - Andromeda has been almost forgotten about for quite a while now although it is a really fine show if you can get past the 'Hercules in Space' element because it really is so much more than that.It is a truly spectacular show and I was surprised to learn that it was made on a very modest budget compared to Stargate (which is a show I simply cannot watch).Bab5 is contemporary to TNG, so pretty old.Even Firefly was on TV when I was at school.I can honestly recommend every one of those shows right to the end; (even Seaquest if only for the ships, action and effects).I'm not doing Janeway. She's not terrible like Archer from Enterprise, just too unremarkable.Who is Captain Zep, lol.Wasn't Zep the little puppet thing from those Saw films?
Crash

Post by Crash »

OMG, I forgot Commander/Admiral Adama from BSG.That ... was an oversight.
felice

Post by felice »

Stanley H Tweedle, captain of the Lexx would make a good contrast 8)
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Dr. Benn would be a good choice.I guess we don't see too much of Captains' Carter or Halley, but we do see a fair bit of Orion tho'.How about Ninestein from Terrahawks?I'm thinking of doing a little story about Captain Carter sometime, as I think he's a character that could be fleshed out a bit. I'm pondering on writing about his brainwashing "defection". He does need a first name though, did anyone give him one in a Fanfic? (I didn't).Captain Zep LOL! No he wasn't from SAW. Check out Captain Zep - Space Detective on youtube.He was a Captain I remember from my misspent childhood watching children's TV I didn't watch Seaquest very much, although it did look impressive at the time. Didn't it have that bloke from the Jaws films in it?I've never heard of Andromeda tho', or Firefly.I did watch a fair bit of Bab5, but I found it too confusing and long-winded, plot-wise, and gave up.I like the original Stargate film, but not the spinoff TV series.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

I like Captain Daniel Carter.What about:Dallas from Aliens Avon from Blake's 7?Was he actually a captain? I actually quite liked he first few seasons of SG1.

Even in Death, I still Serve
Shane

Post by Shane »

Captain Mathew Gideon of the Excalibur from Crusade.Avon or Blake would count as captains of the Liberator from Blake 7.Captain John Chrichton of Moya from Farscape.Captain Buck Rogers of the Searcher from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Season 2)Used to like Captain Zep; great theme tune!
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Yeah, Dallas from Aliens was a cool character!Any Captain from Blakes 7 has my vote as well.I remember Captain Chrichton from Farscape as well, he's pretty cool too.LOTS of Captains to write about there Crash! Glad you liked Captain Zep too Shane, there's not many that do, and I agree, it's a great theme tune   Remember the cardboard cut-out aliens!! LOL!Captain ZepCaptain ZepOOOOHH!Super Space DetectiveOh nooo, Can't get it out of my head now  

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Stanley Tweeedle! ... "I'm afraid Captain Stanley Tweedle is a little .... indisposed at the moment", haha!Lexx was a fantastic show because it was a half-decent sci-fi and it just stuck two fingers completely up at the rule book.I think I would have to watch the show (yet) again with a view to looking at him a bit more closely rather than whichever German model they had playing Z/Xev. I always thought Kai was a much more interesting character than the captain.I hadn't thought about it but I may have been thinking of TV shows that were actually made (how should I put this ... ) in my lifetime.Gideon was an okay captain but a bit less impressive than Sinclair, Sheridan and even Lochley. He didn't have many episodes to prove his mettle but then neither did Reynolds in Firefly, who made much greater impression. I actually thought Lochley was a great addition to B5. I preferred her to Ivanova by quite a stretch. It's not that much of a shame that they wrote her and Marcus out of the show because I wasn't sure that he fitted-in either.I always thought that Lochley was how Janeway in Voyager ought to have been.Have you seen the Youtube clips of the actress that they initially cast as Janeway? I'm not sure Mulgrew was that preferable, apart from the fact that they used her *very well* in the series finale.Problem with Crichton was that he held the rank of Captain because he had a little shuttle but he wasn't actually the captain of anyone else. In that show they all basically did ... whatever the ship felt like. I might make an exception in his case because he was quite likeable.I might tear into Archer from Enterprise, however. That show was a disgrace to Star Trek in some regards and yet other bits were very good. The captain was by far-and-a-way the weakest in Star Trek and all-round a dreadful character. He possessed absolutely no leadership or credibility whatsoever. ... Do not get me started on the ship itself.