X-Archive Successfully Updated

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, if I recall, I did a very rough wire-frame Legtrax animation with the help of a pair of Gundam legs.I also did a dynamic video of a lookalike Dai X flying across an Alien landscape, which, while lo res, would have looked fantastic with the right models and higher rendering quality. I think that video snippet was also part of the TROM trailer I made.Alas, all are lost now, including my disco dancing Optimus Prime video. Dang!
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I actually have your TROM video! Couldn't find the Legtrax/Gundam animation, though.Hopefully I can get it uploaded soon.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Oh sweet! That would be great if you can find it. Be nice to have it for nostalgic reasons, although it's going to be very ropey indeed by today's standards for sure.Not so worried about the crude Legtrax animation. I think I made it just to demonstrate a point in an old forum thread.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

h.264 is brilliant. Proper, brand-independent HWA for playing video should be even more widespread, supporting a greater range of formats.Coppermine's way of limiting what filetypes you upload to a bunch of allowed lists is infuriating to me. It previously allowed "ALL" as an argument but not in current versions.The program works but its interface is unintuitive and the attitude of its developes is disgusting. To illustrate, I proffer the following example: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/ind ... 8787.0They can't answer a question without starting a anti-race flamewar.Anyway, give uploading an m4v a spin now. I gave most people admin rights so you can have a play yourself with the Config / File settings area.I mean, I think what it's about is to make sure that the gallery knows how to open each type of file contained in its database. But that shouldn't stop the gallery uploading any file type and then just giving a download link (as a catch-all measure) if that instruction is missing.Another thing that grieves me is that it can't be controlled in one place either. It needs the config and a file-type plugin to do the whole job.Anyway, I am open to suggestions as to how to improve the whole thing - including moving across to other software.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Woohoo! .m4v file accepted! Thanks for fixing that, Crash. I poked around in the settings, but I didn't find the File section. Found it now.Here's the TROM teaser:http://www.xbomber.co.uk/xarchiv....y_mediaThat said, do you know of any way to set a custom thumbnail for individual videos like this? I couldn't find any options on the item editing page.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Bleh. I found the "supported" method of adding custom thumbnails, and it's an ugly hack.http://documentation.coppermine-gallery ... Apparently you have to upload an image with the same name, and Coppermine uses the same thumbnail for both files. The ugly part, though, is that you then have two files there; you can't delete or disable the image and have just the video with the new thumbnail. Well, it's better than nothing!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Ahh, yes - that is inconvenient. It lists both the thumbnail image and the file that it corresponds to and it shows both to the end user.You would think it would have the intelligence to see two identically named files and regard them as one thing.You did well to persevere there; those videos are great. It makes the Legtrax transformation seem very feasible.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I have just downloaded and watched the TROM teaser animation and I have to say I am very impressed. Well done there Shane! I wish I could do something like that.But alas I cannot Actually it took me quite a while to find a way of playing it on my Laptop. None of my usual players like Windows Media Player, or Real Player or Quicktime would play it. I eventually managed to watch it using Nero Showtime, even if it crashed at the end of each time I viewed it.What a luddite I am...sigh.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

For what it's worth, I just finished uploading a few more videos to the gallery, each with a corresponding thumbnail image file. I'm having trouble with one file that's 9.1 MB. It moves along and eventually fails with an unhelpful error:I tried twice with the same result. I'll try adjusting some settings and give it another shot later...Vanessa, sorry to hear you had so much trouble playing the videos! At the very least, QuickTime should have been able to play it, assuming your installation is reasonably up to date. The MPEG-4 container format is actually a derivative of Apple's QuickTime .mov container, and Apple's software should have been able to play MPEG-4 from its introduction years ago. Maybe try redownloading the latest QuickTime version from apple.com?Worst case scenario, download VLC and try it for playback. VLC is a cross-platform media player that, at least in my experience, will play video files where all other programs fail.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Either that or K-Lite - those codecs play anything in any media player.It certainly worked fine for me and that's all I have.