3D X-bomber art

Chat about creative work on other sites
dsherratt74

3D X-bomber art

Post by dsherratt74 »

Hi, Crash Overdrive pointed out some of my work a few weeks ago, and I felt I should shout out and show it and some more that has been done since. The hunt for F-01 begins. This was the first piece I did late last year. Still one of my favourites.  DBNO (Down But Not Out). This is the latest piece I've done and in my opinion my best yet. My take on the classic scene from episode 2. X-Bomber give us Lamia. This was my second piece which was done after I completed the Imperial Astrofighter model.Send a message out across the Sky.... The third model I did was the Alliance Carrier and I wanted to show lots of them together with even more fighters.  Victory! Big Dai-X in the classic pose. Doing Dai-X took ages as its a fully transformable model made up of all three separate ships just like in the show. There's even more art over in my X-Bomber deviantART gallery including images of all three of the Dai-X fighters and other stuff and you can download much larger versions of the images here as well. - X-Bomber Gallery I've also created a short video of the ships in action and here is a small sample.  You can check out the full movie on Youtube - Star Fleet in CGI

"A brave man is lauded even if he fails, a coward is reviled without question"X-Bomber art on dA
Crash

3D X-bomber art

Post by Crash »

I said, I thought we could look forward to more!I think the credits sequence captures the 'feel' of the show, which is always a challenge when you set out to recreate something.Have you thought of doing any original ships based on the show?
Dream big and bold and daring.
dsherratt74

3D X-bomber art

Post by dsherratt74 »

Well you're not wrong and there will be even more soon with me working on Makara's Cruiser. There's a few shots from the original end credits I was not a real fan of, specifically the part showing the connection of Mainbody and Legtrack so I replaced it with a different one that I felt would work as part of a Dai-X junction sequence. The others I left in because while I'm not fond of them they were significant to the events used during the credits Honestly I haven't considered any original designs yet but never say never. I've seen some interesting ideas from others. I shall give it some thought.Of course if anyone has some ideas for ships that aren't in the series that they'd like to see then I'm quite approachable and open to suggestions.
"A brave man is lauded even if he fails, a coward is reviled without question"X-Bomber art on dA
AndyThomas

3D X-bomber art

Post by AndyThomas »

This work was one of the reasons I was so keen to get some sort of forum back up again. I wish Brad were still around, you two would have made one hell of a team on this stuff. My attempts were amateurish at best! Is is remarkable that 30 years on a CGI remake of the series suddenly doesn't seem that daft at all. There are several redesigns and upgrades of Dai-X out there of course. There is a Mecha section on SFXB that might assist with inspiration - Death Ball, Imperial Fortress, the Skull - lots of great designs!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

3D X-bomber art

Post by Crash »

@Andy:But that was a long time ago, Andy. Things have come on a long way since 2000, 2002?@Wasn't thinking of having any of the originals from my game 3d modelled, just wondered if you had any designs of your own in the background.It was interesting that, in the interview with Go Nagai, he planned to introduce enemy robots, which is what I've been doing with my game. They just didn't have the budget or the second series to do it in.
Bradster

3D X-bomber art

Post by Bradster »

*crawls out from Sargasso, the graveyard of space**brushes off dust**watches YouTube video*Very impressive!   You've done a great job with both the models and the textures. Although I ended up producing a few good models, it took me a long time to build up enough technique and practice to get them looking nice. I was at university at the time studying computer science with zero graphics art background/experience. Organic shapes (anything curvy like the Alliance ships) have always been really difficult for me, and texturing was always a weak spot too. I also had (and continue to have!) a terrible habit of getting stuck on tiny minutiae. Oh the hours I would spend fighting to get right the unimportant details while the larger shape wasn't even close to complete...It looks like you've pretty well mastered all the relevant skills, though, based on a quick look through your DeviantArt account!Did you draw inspiration from my entries here and in Crash's xbomber.co.uk gallery? The precise outline of your EDF logo looks mighty familiar...  
Vanessa

3D X-bomber art

Post by Vanessa »

@Andy,Dsherratt74 mentions that you have sent him some extra pictures of the Alliance Cruiser. If you haven't already, why not send him a copy of the X-Bomber Encyclopedia?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
AndyThomas

3D X-bomber art

Post by AndyThomas »

@Vanessa (get us with our Twitterisms) who says I haven't already?!  

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Vanessa

3D X-bomber art

Post by Vanessa »

Twitterisms?, Oh, sorry, I'm not on Twitter or any of that kind of thing, I was just copying others here (e.g. Crash)But anyway, glad it got sent somewhere useful ;-)
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

3D X-bomber art

Post by Crash »

Good to see you again, Brad.Encyclopedia is here:http://www.xbomber.co.uk/files/media/JN ... mber.pdfIt has some very interesting stuff. Infact, I wondered if anyone could translate p55 of that to see whether it says anything about the extra LegTrax weapon that it shows you.